The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-08-2020, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Volume changes can be dealt with in the mix (tho it's best if you learn to control your levels yourself). Here's a screen shot from a recent recording where the part went from strumming to soft fingerpicking. I just used automation to lower the strumming and raise the fingerpicking to create the appropriate levels (The lines show gain on the track). I adjusted the level by about 7db, making the fingerpicking 2X as loud (or the strumming 1/2 as loud, depending on your perspective). Easy to do, as long as you leave enough headroom:

Volume_Adjustment.jpg

Here's a great example of people controlling their volume themselves, with our own Eric Skye:

Listen around 50 seconds in where they're both strumming, and then Jamie takes the melody while Eric keeps strumming. Eric adjusts his levels so that he stays under Jamie, even tho he's strumming with a pick. There's also not that much volume difference between them both strumming and the single line playing. A good example of being in control of dynamics. I know they're not playing percussive flamenco, but the idea should apply to any style.

Last edited by Doug Young; 02-08-2020 at 08:01 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD