The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Default Interesting discussion.

So I have several good friends who are Taylor guys. One of them has 4. So we were standing around talking about how Taylor has come to dominate the acoustic market saleswise recently. I have had several Taylor's but I always seem to come back to Martin. My thought has always been that younger players like Taylor's and old geezers like me like Martin's. But in our discussion I discovered one guy who older than me likes Taylor's and another friend who is way younger likes Martins. So now I'm really confused LOL Thoughts?

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph1 View Post
So I have several good friends who are Taylor guys. One of them has 4. So we were standing around talking about how Taylor has come to dominate the acoustic market saleswise recently. I have had several Taylor's but I always seem to come back to Martin. My thought has always been that younger players like Taylor's and old geezers like me like Martin's. But in our discussion I discovered one guy who older than me likes Taylor's and another friend who is way younger likes Martins. So now I'm really confused LOL Thoughts?
Hopefully I can help clear this up. I'm 49 and I like both. I hope that helps.

You're welcome.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM

I'm an oldie (54) who loves Taylor. Does that help?
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-06-2017, 09:14 AM

I'm 25 and love Taylors. Ever since I first played one about 10 years ago.

Now I have played many Martins and loved them, but, if I'm not mistaken, they have different neck shapes they use. (Could totally be wrong)

But the feel and play ability has varied for Martins I've played where for Taylors, it is really consistent.

With all of that said, I think Martin really stays true to the history of guitar making. (Mostly dreadnoughts) And they have a long,rich history as a company.

Taylor popped on the scene in the 80s, I think. They make dreads but their signature body style is their own Grand Auditorium. Also, they designed the NT neck and pop out guitars like nobody's business.

In conclusion, I think Taylor is kind of like the new "cool kid" where Martin has been the "cool kid" for awhile. Some people like what's new just because it's new. Others like what they're used to. Just because something is old does not mean it's bad. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
No mystery, your initial premise was wrong. That's all.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

The whole thing is pretty simple - and has nothing to do with age. If you know tone, history, and workmanship, and you truly love America, then you will love Martin.

Else.....
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
No mystery, your initial premise was wrong. That's all.
Yep....... 67 year old youngster here, two Taylors no Martins.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know in 1998 I'd barely even heard of Taylor and was looking forward to acquiring a lifetime Martin guitar. In 1999 a national artist came into my studio with a Taylor 900 series and I was blown away with the guitar, specifically the fantastic intonation and the voicing. I've had Taylors ever since. I've been playing for forty-seven years and I'm 60.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
The whole thing is pretty simple - and has nothing to do with age. If you know tone, history, and workmanship, and you truly love America, then you will love Martin.

Else.....
Uh oh. If / Else logic fail...

Personally, I'd be surprised to find any significant trend of brand preference with age or any the above.
Martin OMC-18E
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Old 12-06-2017, 09:31 AM

I am 42, this year.

My sig line says it all, really...but I AM on the hunt for a D-18, so I guess I swing both ways????????

Musically, that is.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 12-06-2017, 09:37 AM

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 12-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I used to love Camaro's, then drifted to Mustangs, etc. Maybe really all boils down to personal preference, based on a multitude of factors, as you can imagine!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I've owned both, but ultimately am a "Taylor Guy" who began my love of Taylor's at age 25 (I'm 50 now). I've been to four Taylor "Road Shows" and each time most of the people in attendance are 45 and older - by far.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM

I'm 32, and have had a love/hate relationship with Taylor and Martin, but for different reasons. Taylor generally has the feel, look, and options I prefer, but Martin has the sound. However, since Martin introduced the Performing Artist neck and 1.75" nut width on more models, I find Martin has become my go to.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Have them trade guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion