The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 AM

Default Yamaha CG201 vs CG192

Hi there,

I am trying to make decision between two guitars Yamaha cg201 and new cg192. I am trying to restart playing classical guitar again.

I have tried Yamaha cg201s (discontinued model) couple days ago at my local guitar shop and quite liked it. But there was no cg192 in stock. I have read that new cg192 has better sounding and thinner neck.

I am wondering if anyone has tried both guitars and can comment on sound, playability and quality. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thank you!
Evaldas
Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM

I haven't tried either, but would it be safe to say you're experiencing classical GAS?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:33 PM

I have played both at length, and I also played both the CG192S and CG192C.

Of the two CG models, I think I liked the cedar just a bit more, but it wasn't a big deal. They exhibited the usual cedar-vs.spruce tone thing, but just not a huge variance between the two. Compared to the CG201S, I think I might have considered it a toss-up. All of them were pretty decent.

And all of them showed something that I see in a lot of Chinese classical guitars from different makers, but something I've never seen in non-Chinese guitars. (And I own an Eastman E10D that is superb, so I'm not knocking Chinese guitars per se.) It's a really pronounced resonance note at E, such that that the D string, fretted at E (2nd fret) creates an odd dull, flat buzziness that is a result of the resonant note vibrating the string at the fret it's being fretted on. Sounds strange, I know. If you fret the string right up against the 2nd fret (or practically on top if it), you just get the normal slightly off-tone of a resonance note. But if you fret the string even slighty back of the fret (which often happens with certain chords or fingering positions), you start to get this artifact. Fret it in the middle between the two frets, and forget it - it sounds pretty gross. I've talked about it with some knowledgeable people, and all agreed that it's there, that the dull buzz was indeed coming from that fret, and that it's a bit of an ugly sound. I've seen this on perhaps 5-6 Chinese classicals - I have no idea why, but their guitars seem to resonate at E, whereas most other guitars I've played resonated at F or F#, and didn't show this tone issue.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Thank you very much for your thorough answer!

I think I will stick with 192c! Cannot wait to start playing classical guitar again!

Evaldas
Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 PM

classical gas makes me happy...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical