The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 AM

Default Classical And Flamenco. Difference

Whats The Difference Between The Two? I Play Mostly Fingerstyle, Classic Rock Type Music,beatles, Andy Mcgee, Etc. Which Type Of Nylon Would Be Best, Classical,flamenco, Or Flamenco Negra? I've Heard The Action Is Lower And The Headstock Is At Less Of An Angle On The Flamenco. Are There Sound Differences That Are Suited More Towards Fingerstyle? Any Info Would Be Great, I'm Trying To Get As Much Info As I Can For General Knowledge And To Know What I Should Be Looking For When I Walk Into A Store To By A New Guitar.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 AM

In an nutshell:
http://tornavozmusic.com/faqs/differ...sical-flamenco
Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 AM

Well, I am in a somewhat similar situation as you.
In shops I have tried the negras, blancas and classical guitars.
TBH - I did not like the sound of negras too much.

So for fingerstlyle I would say: a classical or flamenco blanca guitar.
Both types can sound terrific - provided you get a good model.

If the blancas were not buzzing with fast/strong playing, I would definitely get one. Their sound is OK - I just do not like the buzz...

Now - if you want to play more slow, melodic, romantic tunes then a classical might be better I think. For faster pieces a flamenco might be preferable (there are people who play classical pieces on flamenco guitars) - but it really depends on what sound YOU like. After all it will you who will be spending hours on the instrument

You might also try out some crossover models - esp. those with wide necks.
They tend to have lower action than classical, but their tone is not as deep and mellow (but still can be very nice).

I am not sure how AndyMcGee would sound on nylon string though...
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie1974 View Post
Well, I am in a somewhat similar situation as you.
In shops I have tried the negras, blancas and classical guitars.
TBH - I did not like the sound of negras too much.

So for fingerstlyle I would say: a classical or flamenco blanca guitar.
Both types can sound terrific - provided you get a good model.

If the blancas were not buzzing with fast/strong playing, I would definitely get one. Their sound is OK - I just do not like the buzz...

Now - if you want to play more slow, melodic, romantic tunes then a classical might be better I think. For faster pieces a flamenco might be preferable (there are people who play classical pieces on flamenco guitars) - but it really depends on what sound YOU like. After all it will you who will be spending hours on the instrument

You might also try out some crossover models - esp. those with wide necks.
They tend to have lower action than classical, but their tone is not as deep and mellow (but still can be very nice).

I am not sure how AndyMcGee would sound on nylon string though...
MAYBE I SHOULDN'T OF PUT HIM IN THERE AS AN EXAMPLE, YOUR RIGHT POOR CHOICE FOR A REFERENCE. WHAT I WAS REALLY TRYING TO GET AT IS THAT I DON'T PLAY MUCH TRADITIONAL CLASSICAL MUSIC. I DO HAVE A STEEL STRING THAT I WOULD PLAY SOME OF THE OTHER MUSIC ON. THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONCE, ITS TOUGH BUYING A GUITAR THESE DAYS. HUNDREDS OF CHOICES AND NONE OF THE STORES SEEM TO HAVE ANYTHING I WANT TO TRY. ITS ALL IBANEZ AND LIKE $200 GUITARS. IF THEY ORDER ONE FOR YOU AND YOU DON'T LIKE IT OH WELL YOU OWN IT. THIS IS WORSE THAN BUYING A CAR OR EVEN A HOUSE.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

In general, flamencos are designed to have a more punchy sound with less sustain. There are of course exceptions to this - you could very well find a flamenco that suits you, but after reading your post I would suggest you focus on finding a classical or crossover. I have a blanca and a negra, and while the negra has slightly larger bass and more upper harmonics it's still very flamenco sounding.

BTW, sorry to be picky but it's Andy McKee with a "K" - for some reason, McGee seems to be the most common misspelling of his name. I personally don't like the way that style of music sounds on a nylon.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=Ryan Alexander;2413329]In general, flamencos are designed to have a more punchy sound with less sustain. T/QUOTE]

That is correct,, there is very little difference in terms of basic construction.
Flamencos are usually built a little lighter, and is the only guitar i know of that
uses Cypress for back and side (on the blancas) because its local wood in spain, and cheap..
they dont hold up as well as the classicals, but that might be because, historically flamenco players abused their instruments more....
than classical players.....
Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical