The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-10-2024, 07:27 PM

Default Info on unknown pickup?

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me about the pickup that came installed on the 70s Martin I just bought? There seems to be a logo of some kind but no other discernible markings. Also, they appear to be glued into the soundboard, rather than the big ole mahogany bridge plate. Is that a mistake?

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:54 PM

With more than 3 decades playing Martin guitars, I've never seen a pickup like that. I'm interested in seeing if it's a one-off or prototype.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:32 PM

Similar to several Barcus Berry’s from that era, but not exactly…a BB knockoff maybe?
Old 04-11-2024, 06:30 AM

Interesting that they used a screw-in output jack. Looks very similar to this one which I've only used on instruments that I can't get my hands inside to install a standard switchjack (violins, violas, archtop guitars).

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-11-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Interesting that they used a screw-in output jack. Looks very similar to this one which I've only used on instruments that I can't get my hands inside to install a standard switchjack (violins, violas, archtop guitars).
Yes, that looks pretty similar. Does this screw it type damage the end hole? I'm wondering if I should just remove the thing and pop an end pin in. It looks pretty DIY.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles B. View Post
Yes, that looks pretty similar. Does this screw it type damage the end hole? I'm wondering if I should just remove the thing and pop an end pin in. It looks pretty DIY.
No damage that I've ever encountered. I've used these on 5 instruments. The only thing is to install it you have to pull the pickup leads out the jack hole, solder it up, screw in the jack and THEN mount the pickup. Otherwise you'll twist and damage the leads.

If/when you want to change the jack, you have to remove the pickup first before unscrewing the jack, or again you'll twist the leads too much.

Also, IIRC the OD of the screw-in jack is a little bigger than the hole you want for a standard switchjack.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-11-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
No damage that I've ever encountered. I've used these on 5 instruments. The only thing is to install it you have to pull the pickup leads out the jack hole, solder it up, screw in the jack and THEN mount the pickup. Otherwise you'll twist and damage the leads.

If/when you want to change the jack, you have to remove the pickup first before unscrewing the jack, or again you'll twist the leads too much.

Also, IIRC the OD of the screw-in jack is a little bigger than the hole you want for a standard switchjack.
Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification