The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordans0nly View Post
It seems that I need a two channel DI box with a switchable button between both guitars. Looks like the Radial Tonebone PZ-DI box might be the way to go, but a little expensive, but looks worth it.
The Radial is very feature rich, and the toggle is one of its most useful features for someone like you. From what you've been saying, the only problem you may encounter with it is the fact that you can't use two different EQ settings, one for each channel. Or at least you can't toggle between them. You'd have to change the settings by hand.

But unless I'm missing something, all you'd have to do to "mute" the guitar you're not using on one channel of the DI Max or Solstice would be to turn the volume down on that channel and turn the other one up. That's doable on stage, especially if you put a nice big visible marker on the right settings.

Louis
Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Jordan,

I know you asked a question about electronics, but I'm wondering about something else. You mentioned putting new strings on the Recording King. I don't know how old the Martin's strings are, but it might be possible that the new strings contributed to its sounding clearer and crisper. Just a thought.
This is my guess, too.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
The Radial is very feature rich, and the toggle is one of its most useful features for someone like you. From what you've been saying, the only problem you may encounter with it is the fact that you can't use two different EQ settings, one for each channel. Or at least you can't toggle between them. You'd have to change the settings by hand.

But unless I'm missing something, all you'd have to do to "mute" the guitar you're not using on one channel of the DI Max or Solstice would be to turn the volume down on that channel and turn the other one up. That's doable on stage, especially if you put a nice big visible marker on the right settings.

Louis
By looking at the DI Max, what would I have to turn down? Which knob? I know on the RK with the active Element, it has the Volume and Tone control buttons in the sound hole..
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordans0nly View Post
By looking at the DI Max, what would I have to turn down? Which knob? I know on the RK with the active Element, it has the Volume and Tone control buttons in the sound hole..
If you've got one guitar plugged into channel 1 and the other into channel 2, you would turn down the "input gain" knob the channel/guitar you're not using. Just to keep it from causing stage noise or feedback while you play the other. It would just be a matter of putting a marker by the knob so you could turn it back up to the right level when you switch back. You'd leave the output level alone. Might not be necessary in a quiet solo gig, but on a noisier stage with a band, it's good to be able to do that.

I've never used the unit myself, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Louis
Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
If you've got one guitar plugged into channel 1 and the other into channel 2, you would turn down the "input gain" knob the channel/guitar you're not using. Just to keep it from causing stage noise or feedback while you play the other. It would just be a matter of putting a marker by the knob so you could turn it back up to the right level when you switch back. You'd leave the output level alone. Might not be necessary in a quiet solo gig, but on a noisier stage with a band, it's good to be able to do that.

I've never used the unit myself, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Louis
Louis, that's pretty much what the tech guy from Ultrasound said when he emailed me back. Seems like the way to go for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification