The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Good thought Ferg. I figured the Carvins were more expensive, but these are the same price

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...product=LS1202

Wondering if I can haggle with them for free shipping.
Check out Carvin's complete systems, which may include the components you've already looked at, as well as other combinations of components. You can save a few bucks when buying Carvin's complete systems, which may also include Carvin mics, and mic and speaker cables. Although you may not be partial to their mics, or you may want higher quality cables, it's good to look over all the possibilities Carvin has to offer in PA gear. Good Luck In Your Quest!

Regards,

SpruceTop

Carvin Complete PA Systems: http://www.carvinguitars.com/proaudio/pasystems.php
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 AM

You should see if you can find the sensitivity rating of the Peavey speakers. The Carvins are rated 97db for 1 watt which is pretty good. A difference of only 3db is equivalent to doubling the amplifier power (e.g., a 97db speaker pushed by 200 watts will give about the same volume as a 94db speaker on 400 watts.)
Old 04-23-2011, 03:10 PM

WHOOOO Jim...that's a bad outfit!!!! {bad, of course meaning good} you gonna have some fun....I just had the same outside volume problem, so I just bought two Samson powered 12" speakers and tripods. I go with a Direct out from my Fishman into the Speakers and now I seem to have plenty of Volume for my outside gigs...Congrats...new toys, new toys... that aside...I have to wonder about the wisdom of doing outside gigs here in Florida....the heat and humidity are oppressive....not to mention our man-eating mosquitoes and Deer flies.
Good luck, which ever way you go, and glad you found some guys to play with.

Mah ' Crub
Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Hit your local pawn shops. Online sales like Ebay, Craigslist ect have pretty much eliminated most of the guitar deals in pawn shops, but the expensive shipping for PA components leaves them readily available in pawn shops around here.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 AM

Well I finally sold my Genz Benz the other day. Not a total loss, which is good, for once in my life.

However I've decided to wait on the PA. My bass player has 4 JBL 15" powered EON speakers, 4 JBL 12" powered cabs and a mixer.

I didn't have enough cash for real good speakers so I'll wait till bonus time later in the year and get a mixer and some pro speakers.

Now I did stumble upon a Soloamp @ Guitar Center for cheap in mint condition and that's what I came home with. I figured I could use that for the smaller stuff I do. The Genz benz was a nice amp, but unpractical for gigging and it's a nightmare to carry around. The SA is easy to setup. Pretty loud for smaller stuff I think. I can also hook up powered cabs to it if I need to.

So thanks for talking some sense into me as far as buying something that is not as good as I could have. The JBL's aren't the best either, but they are beasts and they sound pretty good. The bass guy knows what he's doing. Plugs all the stuff into a mac book. No idea how he learned all that. Has some software for recording with plugins that is pretty unreal.

So I got the soloamp cheap and bought a cajon too which I've been waiting a while to do.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I finally sold my Genz Benz the other day. Not a total loss, which is good, for once in my life.

However I've decided to wait on the PA. My bass player has 4 JBL 15" powered EON speakers, 4 JBL 12" powered cabs and a mixer.

I didn't have enough cash for real good speakers so I'll wait till bonus time later in the year and get a mixer and some pro speakers.

Now I did stumble upon a Soloamp @ Guitar Center for cheap in mint condition and that's what I came home with. I figured I could use that for the smaller stuff I do. The Genz benz was a nice amp, but unpractical for gigging and it's a nightmare to carry around. The SA is easy to setup. Pretty loud for smaller stuff I think. I can also hook up powered cabs to it if I need to.

So thanks for talking some sense into me as far as buying something that is not as good as I could have. The JBL's aren't the best either, but they are beasts and they sound pretty good. The bass guy knows what he's doing. Plugs all the stuff into a mac book. No idea how he learned all that. Has some software for recording with plugins that is pretty unreal.

So I got the soloamp cheap and bought a cajon too which I've been waiting a while to do.
Nice!

Ironically, I did *not* mean in my earlier post that I thought you should get a SA, but rather I simply meant the PV speakers were good enough.

BUT I hardly use my PA cabs anymore because the SA covers an obscene amount of sonic ground, so I bet you'll be really happy with yours, as well.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:59 PM

Wonder if anybody every hooked 2 of them together somehow.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

You could use the mix out or the monitor out from the Soloamp into another Soloamp, definitely!
Electrics: 1975 Gretsch 7670 | 1959 Fender Jazzmaster (heavily modified) | 1980 Fender Lead II
Other Instruments: Eastman MD-505 Mandolin (K&K) | Sullivan Jam Open-Back Banjo (Schatten) | Fender Mustang PJ Bass
Amps: 2017 Otis Trudeau | 1964 Gibson Skylark | Yamaha Stagepas 200BTR
Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd love to just get a soloamp but that's not going to be loud enough for outdoor stuff.
Knuckle,

I have played many outdoor venues and have not yet needed to get my SA volume knob above 6, so, I am wondering what your experience playing outdoors has been. I suspect you have found the SA to be capable of playing quite well out of doors?

Steve

PS Yes I have hooked my and my partners SAs together several times and it works extremely well. I belive Phil (Rio Rider) just used to combinded SAs for his OK Gathering with excellent results as well.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM

I really like Carvin products and service. I have one of their basses and a combo amp, the MB-12 (200 W) with a 115 MB extension bass cab. The amp isn't quite the same as my other bass combo amp, a PJB Roadcase BG-800 (750 W). But, for the difference in price point, the Carvin is phenomenal.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:08 AM

my last update to this thread was 4-11

Therefore I hereby declare this thread UNDEAD
Old 10-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Knuckle,

I am wondering what your experience playing outdoors has been. I suspect you have found the SA to be capable of playing quite well out of doors?

Steve

So Knucke,
Since you have declared this thread Undead, how about an answer to my question?

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification