The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2021, 10:25 AM

A true genius and a true dirtbag. I must admit, much of his music was a soundtrack of my teen years. His Christmas album is a classic. You can actually hear him singing background on his first recording 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' by the Teddy Bears. Glad he died in prison.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:39 AM

This thread brings up an interesting idea that has sadly become more common in recent years. When a long established artist (musician, actor, comedian. etc) is exposed as a monster (convicted of murder, sexual assault/rape, etc), are you still able to appreciate the art they previously created, separating it from who they were as a person?

There are quite a few actors and comedians who's work I greatly enjoyed but can't really watch anymore because in my mind I'm unable to separate the two.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 01-21-2021, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
This thread brings up an interesting idea that has sadly become more common in recent years. When a long established artist (musician, actor, comedian. etc) is exposed as a monster (convicted of murder, sexual assault/rape, etc), are you still able to appreciate the art they previously created, separating it from who they were as a person?

There are quite a few actors and comedians whose work I greatly enjoyed but can't really watch anymore because in my mind I'm unable to separate the two.
I retired from teaching in Virginia's correctional system and in that role got to know numerous inmates who'd committed murder and other nefarious crimes. It's easy and unfortunate to minimize the humanity of others based on the worst things they've ever done while ignoring the best things they've ever done. I came to accept the notion that none of us is totally free of bad deeds nor good deeds. Labeling someone as a "monster" based on a crime for which that person was convicted also presupposes that innocent people don't get convicted of crimes. They do and I've met several of them...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-21-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 PM

Saw him in an i dream of Jeannie rerun a couple months ago.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:50 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdnh View Post
A true genius and a true dirtbag. I must admit, much of his music was a soundtrack of my teen years. His Christmas album is a classic. You can actually hear him singing background on his first recording 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' by the Teddy Bears. Glad he died in prison.
Sort of how I feel. Not bummed to see the tail end of that disaster.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:14 PM

If we look at and accept the traditional meaning of "rest in peace", I don't think PS will be resting in peace.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

There are quite a few actors and comedians who's work I greatly enjoyed but can't really watch anymore because in my mind I'm unable to separate the two.
I am in agreement with you. I have come to find that the people that I no longer support because of their illegal, unethical or immoral issues I never really bonded with any way. So it's no loss to me. Phil Spector's output never impressed me.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:

What a sad way to live.

People are human and have strengths and weaknesses, good and evil. ALL of us. I don't judge others work based upon their personal life nor their personal life based upon their work and I've found life is far better this way.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
...People are human and have strengths and weaknesses, good and evil. ALL of us. I don't judge others work based upon their personal life nor their personal life based upon their work and I've found life is far better this way.
Very well put. I grew up listening to Bill Cosby comedy records and still think that his gift of humor stands regardless of the terrible things he did that landed him behind bars...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic