The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-20-2021, 07:09 AM

I've been using Apple's Magic Mouse since they came out. There are no buttons on the side like Logictec. The only thumb use is in guiding it across the mouse pad. It's extremely accurate, programmable, and allows for two finger swipes across the top to switch between web pages.

There are two AA batteries to deal with, but I use rechargeable Eneloops so I'm OK with that.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Fumei, after doing some research, I now understand that there's a difference between a pen display and a pen tablet. I'd be looking for a pen tablet.

Thanks for your track pad suggestion, imwjl. Unfortunately it's wireless.
Correct. You see the pointer on your screen. You rarely, if ever, look at the tablet itself. You quickly get to know the dimensions of the tablet area. And beside, you SEE the pointer on the screen. As you move the pen around, the pointer moves the sameway. I have my pen set to activate about 1 1/2" above the tablet. That is, you do NOT have to actually touch the tablet. A touch is the same as a mouse click. So for me to click the Submit Reply button here I pick up the pen and see the pointer move to the button, and do a single tap on the tablet area, and it is done. No buttons. The pen is programmable, most tablets also have quick action buttons (if you want to press a physical button, but I rarely use them). You can program (on good tablets) the pressure sensitivity of the pen. There is a button on my pen that I have set to activate a right mouse button click. But it is a totally different button push than any mouse I know of.

So again, to make a selection, you touch the tablet with the pointer (on the screen) where you want, drag the tip wherever you want (up, down, right, left) and lift it up. Whatever is the area you covered with the tip is the area you select. Be it text or a graphical area (like, say, a range of a recorded track). Because there is no button pushing, just taps of the pen tip, I find I can activate menus, dropdowns, icon buttons so much faster.

Wacom was about the only game in town when I got my first pen tablet 20+ years ago. The non-Wacoms are fine. Unless you are a serious serious graphics artist you do not need a Wacom. The only comment I can make regarding other brands is make SURE you grasp the tablet area size. Some of the cheaper ones are pretty small and they are for me a wee bit difficult for that. I am about to tap Submit Reply with a 3 3/4" x 6" tablet pen. Do not go smaller that that.

Oh and the rear end of the pen is normally set to act as an eraser.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

Last edited by fumei; 01-20-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
I've been using Apple's Magic Mouse since they came out. There are no buttons on the side like Logictec. The only thumb use is in guiding it across the mouse pad. It's extremely accurate, programmable, and allows for two finger swipes across the top to switch between web pages.

There are two AA batteries to deal with, but I use rechargeable Eneloops so I'm OK with that.
I second the Magic Mouse. The newest version is rechargeable so no need for AA batteries. Scrolling through looooooonggggg spreadsheets is a breeze
Old 01-20-2021, 10:01 PM

While not a product recommendation, I have had problems in the past with issues in the tendons on my forearm when using my mouse continually. What I learned to do was switch from my right to left hand periodically, this rested my other arm and now I don’t have the same issues. For yourself, you could use your other hand and there are settings for your mouse that will switch your buttons around if you find it difficult. On a side note this helps with dexterity of my other hand as I was a strict RH person.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
While not a product recommendation, I have had problems in the past with issues in the tendons on my forearm when using my mouse continually. What I learned to do was switch from my right to left hand periodically, this rested my other arm and now I don’t have the same issues. For yourself, you could use your other hand and there are settings for your mouse that will switch your buttons around if you find it difficult. On a side note this helps with dexterity of my other hand as I was a strict RH person.
I used to do this too. I never saw the need to reverse the buttons action either. As RH guitarists we should be used to using the left hand already.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-22-2021, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks fumei.

Quote:
The only comment I can make regarding other brands is make SURE you grasp the tablet area size. Some of the cheaper ones are pretty small and they are for me a wee bit difficult for that. I am about to tap Submit Reply with a 3 3/4" x 6" tablet pen. Do not go smaller that that.
Are you talking here about the "actve" size of the tablet or the whole tablet?

Interesting you don't have to press the pen on the tablet at all to scroll. The pen is communicating with the tablet wirelessly, like through wifi?

When I want to pick up a guitar or use the keyboard, I'll need to put down the pen. Does it roll around when you put it down? The mouse, of course, stays where I put it.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic