The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-12-2021, 01:26 PM

Default After Retirement Jobs

Hi; think I may retire this year ;I'm 67 . worked HVAC all my life. Wife still works so I may want to do something to make a little extra $... Just wondering if any of you guys found a nice "gig" of sorts in our "declining "years .ha thanks!
'
Old 01-12-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

I was working a full time job and a part time job when I retired. I kept working the part time job for a few years. I didn't really need the money but convinced myself that I needed something to do. After a couple of years of it I realized that even a part time job carried with it full time responsibility. I also came to the realization that "work ethic" is nothing more than a scam to make people feel good about working. I was sitting one Sunday in Wichita , KS and had to decide if I was going home to work on Monday morning as scheduled, or if we were going to take off for Santa Fe, NM to see what was going on. I chose to head to Santa Fe and dump both my part time low paying job and my work ethic with it. That was seven years ago and so far nothing bad has happened to me as a result.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-12-2021, 02:05 PM

I'm also 67 and have been working for Lyft driving people around. You can work your own hours, the money is pretty good sometimes, and it's a rewarding service for people. All you need is a decent car or suv, a cell phone, and know how to use the GPS , they take care of the rest.

It's a fun job, and I have made some decent money at it. I'm off right now because of eye cataracts and need surgery, should be back at work the end of February.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-12-2021, 02:45 PM

At 67, you're right at the age when I stopped feeling guilty about not working.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:47 PM

Well, you've got about five years on me, but I've been refereeing soccer and plan to continue after I retire. I figure I can get out from under my wife's feet, make a little pocket money, and help keep in shape all at the same time.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

mmm, I "was" retired at 59. I'd been self employed and part time for the last three years managing a project which finished in 2007.

My main financial advisor told me that I couldn't afford tostop working, but another guy who managed some investments for me worked out a plan for me.

I transferred my private pension into his care and we made a plan.

I had to wait five years before my state pension kicked in so I needed to budget carefully, but it worked well.

From time to time I saw jobs locally that I could have done, but I was fed up with working and wanted the free time.

I'd has serious heart problems and some stents fitted the year before and I wanted to be retired, with my wife still working for a couple of years, leaving me in blissful solitude at home, growing veggies, playing my instruments, seeing friends, and cooking etc.

As it turned out my wife was given the bum's rush from other directors in her company and ended up retiring a month before me. Being a woman she could take her state pension at 60 (in those days).

From that day on I was never bored.

Going from a full time job with a long tiresome and expensive commute to working part time at home gave me an easy slide into full retirement, and seeing the trauma that some friends had in adjusting from full time work to full retirement showed me how fortunate I had been, although less wealthy than some.

I gigged solo, with duos and my trio and for some time had a bluegrass band going and I had been on the photographic judging and lecture circuit since 1989, so I was usually booke one or two nights a week from September to June which provided some cash in hand, which I kept up until 2017, my cancer year.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:43 PM

I retired from hospital administrative work at a major hospital system in central North Carolina. I was happily retired for five years. Then the hospital reached out to me, asking if I would take charge of their very substantial United Way Campaign at the medical center and their affiliates. I did that about 3/4 time for 6 months and went back to retirement. I enjoyed the work, but I like retirement even more.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I'm impressed by you guys that work until 67! I'm two months from 59.5 and I really want to retire then. I'll probably work a few more years just because the wife has to work probably another 4 or 5 and I don't want to be retired that far ahead of her! But I'd go now if I could.

As for after retirement jobs, not planning on anything. Once she's retired we'll probably go back to gigging for fun and profit assuming things are back to normal then. I consider that a win-win. Play guitar and sing and get paid. Doesn't get much better than that.

The Lyft job sounds neat. I could see me doing that if I got bored (highly unlikely, lots of hobbies plus grandchildren!). I've been listening to a lot of retirement podcasts lately and one thing they talk about is finding something you really like or are passionate about and volunteer. They say that volunteering to do something frequently leads to a paid position doing something you love. Stuff like tour guides in state parks, etc.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:10 PM

you guys are very interesting!! really! I do have a state pension and I could go this year. The Lyft job sounds neat. I do really need to do something !My problem is ;confidence . I 've had this job for over 20 years and trying something else..well scares me a little. I do play music out at some wineries and farm markets, but this virus is cramping everyones style.I do notice these little "car parts" delivery jobs.. maybe 2 or 3 days a week ... I'd be happy.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:19 PM

I can't believe none of you guys want to work part time in a nice guitar shop!

That's what I want to do when I retire (probably in 2 or 3 years). I want to work in a place that I love to be, play all the guitars, and talk shop with the nerds that come in the door. Sounds heavenly!

Maybe I'll even find that guitar I've searching for all these years!

scott
Old 01-12-2021, 08:25 PM

H hairpuller; those guys i talk to at GC and sam ash always tell me"you don't wanna work here"... and i think they are right.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
...those guys I talk to at GC and Sam Ash always tell me "you don't wanna work here"...and I think they are right.
FYI I did - briefly, part-time, in the '90s - and they are...
Old 01-12-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
... worked HVAC all my life...'
With that type of experience you would be perfect for some type of property management job.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
H hairpuller; those guys i talk to at GC and sam ash always tell me"you don't wanna work here"... and i think they are right.

I couldn’t work in either of those stores.
I’m talking a small shop that carries boutique builders as well as the big 2 or 3.

Think of Sylvan, Gryphon, the guitar Shoppe, etc.

Probably will never happen, but it would be fun to try.

Scott
Old 01-12-2021, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi; think I may retire this year ;I'm 67 . worked HVAC all my life. Wife still works so I may want to do something to make a little extra $... Just wondering if any of you guys found a nice "gig" of sorts in our "declining "years .ha thanks!
'
Congrats on retiring -- it's time. I'll be 67 this year and worked until I was 65 (retired at 54 due to corporate bankruptcy) but went into a 2nd career teaching at college. With your knowledge in HVAC you should be able to land a part-time teaching job (even online until COVID is done) at a local community college, trade school, and maybe even a High School. As I drive around the community I always see help wanted signs for HVAC techs. We just had A/C put into our house last year and the installers said they were swamped with work because good HVAC techs are hard to find. The nice thing about retirement jobs is that you can set the terms to a large extent (hours, times, and even pay to a certain extent). You could also free lance or do the Home Depot or Lowes "expert" thing. As for me, I like playing my guitar a lot more than I had time to in the past.

Hope this helps!

All the best!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic