The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-22-2020, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi, this seems like the book I should have written instead of my Acoustic guitar timeline. I'd love to get hold of a copy - -so where did you guys source yours?
Old 12-22-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I talked to the author about this on facebook. I asked if a less fancy paperback version would ever be released and he said no, it was put together as a coffee-table book/display piece and that this would be the only format.
For what I understand this is the cheaper version.
The first version, with hand-tinted ink illustrations was sold for £200.
This latest version, the "The Monochrome Edition" is being sold for £110. Same content however the illustrations are not hand-tinted and different paper.

I'm waiting for my copy, however shipping companies must be in trouble perhaps due to brexit or the Christmas season because my copy is taking soooo long !
Old 12-22-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, this seems like the book I should have written instead of my Acoustic guitar timeline. I'd love to get hold of a copy - -so where did you guys source yours?
Directly from the source, in my case - https://orpharionpress.com/

Fretboard Journal did a podcast last month with John reading selections from the book - and a nice discount on the book.
The discount code may still be active -
https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...ohn-stubbings/

Bought my copy right after that.

Savored it, also. Usually I read too fast, if anything. But I tried to make this one last.

Nicely written, beautifully made, recommended.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Just ordered mine. I immediately heard back from the author, John, asking if I wanted him to write a personal message in the book - and, if so, what would I like, what would be my thoughts for the inscription.

I thought that was pretty cool!
Old 12-22-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
For what I understand this is the cheaper version.
The first version, with hand-tinted ink illustrations was sold for £200.
This latest version, the "The Monochrome Edition" is being sold for £110. Same content however the illustrations are not hand-tinted and different paper.

I'm waiting for my copy, however shipping companies must be in trouble perhaps due to brexit or the Christmas season because my copy is taking soooo long !
Hi CRNAZZ - John Stubbings, the author of 'The Devil Is In It' here. Sorry to hear your book is taking so long... have you tried the tracking link? If you email me via [email protected] I'll look into it for you. Most books sent to the USA are taking around 4/5 working days. Sorry if this one is slow. Regards, John
Old 12-22-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedevilisinit View Post
Hi CRNAZZ - John Stubbings, the author of 'The Devil Is In It' here. Sorry to hear your book is taking so long... have you tried the tracking link? If you email me via [email protected] I'll look into it for you. Most books sent to the USA are taking around 4/5 working days. Sorry if this one is slow. Regards, John
Just realised I got confused over this link... will message FREAX direct. John
Old 12-22-2020, 01:57 PM

Hi John. The destiny is Portugal (Europe) and usually takes 5 days from UK. I will contact you by email, maybe you can obtain more info. Thank you.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

First saw it in a Fretboard Journal email I think-
does look like a great book indeed.

madhat.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:31 AM

I also ordered this book yesterday and look forward to reading this one. Thanks to John for writing this.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 12-30-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Well, I now one one, and all I can say is that it is timeless. I am afraid to actually disturb its pristine nature and start reading it.

This is a work of art that I am now proud to own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (51.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-30-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

This is a "just wow".

You could spend more money on much worse things. I am proud to own a copy now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (51.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 12-30-2020, 09:30 AM

It is a wonderful book, the paper it is written on alone is special. It reminded me of a time long past when a book was a major event in someone's life and was cherished. This book has that feeling, a feeling I have never gotten from any other book I have owned. I love my Kindle, but this book is in a separate world from anything to do with digital.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:30 AM

It took a bit to get it through the shipper but finally have my copy. I am SO glad I ordered one. I love books and this one is a treasure, and a delight.

The typography is fascinating and very very tasty. It is bound beautifully. The physicality of the book is persuasive. I find myself touching it. The paper is superb.

For the many of us here who may have a lot of books on the history of the guitar there is perhaps not a huge amount of story we have not seen elsewhere. But there are juicy tidbits of information that I personally had never read before.

The narrative, weaving between historical descriptions honestly and sensitively covered, and the author's personal story, is clever and wonderfully balanced. The flow kept me fully engaged. I know I am going to return to it again and again. That is a wonderful thing for a book, to draw a reader back. It will take me a very long time to get all that I can out of it.

I do not know how many are left, not many I think. I am super glad I got one. It is an exceptional reporting on the instrument so many love, and yes, obsess over. It brings the guitar into context in its own right, and shows the authors own love and obsession. Great stuff. Recommended.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 01-21-2021, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I got No 81 /200.

John's pattern is to go through the decades from before the 1830s, through the 20th century - the time of most development and into the 21st, and these chapters are separated by chapters about his travel (and travials) meeting with many and various people in the USA.

This makes for an interesting progression, and whilst it reflects my own experiences more than somewhat, I'm treasuring this journey through the book. It sat by my bed for a while but it it too heavy and solid for bedtime use so now it is a private pleasure for late at night in the corner of the lounge under a good light, and taken in moderation, with a good glass of scotch and water.

So far, I'm on Chapter 12 - the 1920s.

Sipping whisky, and a "sipping" read!
Old 01-21-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
So far, I'm on Chapter 12 - the 1920s.

Sipping whisky, and a "sipping" read!
Exactly! Although I am sipping a 1958 armagnac.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic