The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-12-2015, 02:32 PM

Default Notes on first three frets of guitar

In my attempt to learn to play melody I came across a music book showing some exercises using songs to learn the notes on the first 3 frets of the guitar. I started doing some of these exercises thinking this will make my understanding of playing melodies!

I guess this will limit myself only to notes of the first 3 frets? Am I doing the right thing or is it a waste of time? Please can anyone help.

Thanks for all the advice I've got so far.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

I would have to see exactly what you're talking about, but learning notes anywhere is always a good thing, because the notes repeat all over the fret board.

Learn a couple melodies down on the neck, then take those same notes/melodies and play them other places of the neck. I used to do that when I was trying to learn the notes of the fret board. I hope that makes sense. Bottom line, learn the notes of the fret board as much as possible. Go to Justinguitar.com and Justin has free lessons. In there he has an exercise on how to easily find the notes on the fret board.

don't forget to contribute if you can to his site, but he doesn't require it. Good guy.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niumaiat View Post
In my attempt to learn to play melody I came across a music book showing some exercises using songs to learn the notes on the first 3 frets of the guitar. I started doing some of these exercises thinking this will make my understanding of playing melodies!

I guess this will limit myself only to notes of the first 3 frets? Am I doing the right thing or is it a waste of time? Please can anyone help.

Hi niumaiat…
Not a waste of time.

If you can stretch to four frets, you can play all of the important major scales for guitar players (keys of C-A-G-E-D) on the first four frets.

Just learn the names of the notes associated with those while you are learning to play the scales in ascending and descending fashion - one (and in some cases) two octaves.

You need to do a little internet searching for open scale notes and where they are located on the fingerboard. Do you play other instruments? Do you read notes?

Here's a YouTube of how to play a C major scale in first position - he talks too much and doesn't include note names. But it can get you started. The notes from lowest to highest are C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 10-12-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added an example
Old 10-12-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niumaiat View Post

Using notes on the first three frets you can play melodies in the keys of C, G, Am and Em. There are lots of good exercises to be found here. Eventually you will want to move on but there can be a lot to learn in the first three frets first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write