The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 AM

Default Differences in tone among CF manufacturers?

Hey All. It's easy to identify the tonal differencers between Taylor, Martin, and Gibson. If I play a guitar from either of those three manufactures, even if blindfolded, I could identify the brand, much like many of us here.

Is the same true with the different CF manufacturers, such as Rainsong, CA/Peavey, Emerald, and Blackbird? Do they each have a distinctive tone?

I'm never played a CF guitar before and I'm just curious if tonal differences separate these manufactures as much as solid wood guitars do or if the differences are more subtle. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

It's a good question, and I'm guessing that size and material type would be the determining factors; but even various models of Rainsongs should differ from each other based on these criteria....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
It's a good question, and I'm guessing that size and material type would be the determining factors; but even various models of Rainsongs should differ from each other based on these criteria....
I think he's asking if there's a different tone inherent in each company's carbon fiber/build methods, etc. The way that a Martin, Gibson, and Taylor dreadnaught of the same woods all sound so distinctly different...
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Doesn't that difference come from varied bracing which is not used (I think) in CF guitars...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-08-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
I think he's asking if there's a different tone inherent in each company's carbon fiber/build methods, etc. The way that a Martin, Gibson, and Taylor dreadnaught of the same woods all sound so distinctly different...
Correct. Just to clarify, a Taylor, Martin, and Gibson guitar with the same specs (same size, wood type, scale length) all have their own signature sound. Do CF manufacturers also have their own signature tone as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
Doesn't that difference come from varied bracing which is not used (I think) in CF guitars...
Good point.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 PM

I have been fortunate enough to befriend Kramster, who has probably the largest collection of CF guitars. So, I have played the Rainsong Shorty, a variety of the Emerald Guitars, and the "old" Cargos. Each does indeed have a distinctive sound, and it truly comes down to personal preference. They all amplify incredibly well, and I can understand why many performers use these.

So even though they are not braced per say, they do each have their own sound. I really encourage you all to get on MacNichols road trip. For a mere $35, you get the guitar in your home to try out.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-08-2012, 03:50 PM

IMO, a big yes to your question. Each does have its own distinctive tone that propagates throughout the size series. Indeed, the Rainsong ~ Taylor vs CA ~ Martin analogy has been applied many times, with good reason. Although it is not strictly true, the Rainsongs tend to have that brighter, modern sound, and the CAs tend to have a more subdued, vintage tone. Emerald's are a different character altogether. I don't personally have as much experience with the Blackbirds, though, so I can't properly weigh in on that.

As usual, though, there are caveats. For example, Rainsongs hybrid guitars sound a little more woody, and sound to me closer to the CA spectrum of tone.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 01-08-2012, 04:03 PM

Thanks Lisa and Johnny. I didn't realize that there were distinctive differences, which is why I asked. It does make sense.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Are there equivalent sized CF guitars between different manufacturers; and if so, do they sound different based on any differences other than sound/materials?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-09-2012, 03:19 PM

I used to have a Rainsong WS1000, and currently have a JM1000 as well as two Composite Acoustic Legacy dreads. Not a completely equal comparison, but the Rainsongs have a more balanced sound while the CA's have a Martin-like tone with a slightly scooped midrange and warm upper bass. If someone wants to lend me a Rainsong dreadnought, I could make a fairer comparison!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:35 PM

What Johnny said: Also I have notice that your ear get trained to a guitar. I will play my CA for a while and think this is awesome and then play my Rainsong and think the same thing and it after a while. Though maybe not at first, as you play your ear seem to appreciate each guitars character. I started playing my wood doubleneck about a month ago again and it seem so different I wasn't sure I like it as much but now I think it is the cool one cause my ear is now expecting a more wooden sound.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber