The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-10-2021, 08:36 PM

Default These cracks are in the finish, right?

Just want to be totally sure before I fill. At worst, I think it's only in the wood where the longer crack runs parallel to the grain for a bit, then curves off.

Usually a crack will not go across the grain like it has here, and I'm 99% certain the guitar has a solid top.

I could do a lighter fluid test later.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:36 PM

Those are finish cracks.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:50 PM

Default A thought --- opinion

OP seems to be heading into unknown territory ('before I fill'). I think that whatever OP tries to do as repair will turn common nitro cracks into a disaster. Lots of instruments have finish cracks. Fewer have owner-applied repairs that improve anything.

I think it best to leave well enough alone.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:16 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I had a Yamaha FS700 with finish crack that was similarly not on the grain, but less obvious than that. It was a huge bargain from MF. It played fine, but I checked the bracing, which turned out to be OK. I thought if it had been hit hard enough at some point to crack the polyurethane, then maybe it had suffered a bit of internal damage.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:28 PM

Default These cracks are in the finish, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
OP seems to be heading into unknown territory ('before I fill'). I think that whatever OP tries to do as repair will turn common nitro cracks into a disaster. Lots of instruments have finish cracks. Fewer have owner-applied repairs that improve anything.

I think it best to leave well enough alone.

It's definitely not nitro, it's some sort of thick poly on a budget Washburn. I'm not concerned with making this look perfect. I'm mainly taking care of a few structural things and stabilizing the instrument as a favor to a friend.

Thanks for the cautionary advice. I agree it's sometimes better to put down the tools.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair