The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearnguitars View Post
Kevin-
I just watched the youtube video and wanted to thank you for sharing. AWESOME jig. I love how universal it is. I couldn't figure out how it was rotating upwards until pointed out the springs...very cool.
Thanks stearnsguitars - the jig is great. Here is another neck I carved on it recently. You can see in this picture that I've added more "cam shapers" to it. Its starting to look like a "serious" tool ha.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 AM

Kevin- That jig of yours is the ticket. I have a jig I made by copying some pictures of Fox's neck sander and it does a great job but it is not very universal. A lot of fuss goes into shaping anything other than my standard 25.4" scale length. I think the real tricky part is making a neck shaping jig that also shapes the heel. I have not been able to think of anything yet that would shape the heel and the neck profile.

Jesse
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearnguitars View Post
Kevin- That jig of yours is the ticket. I have a jig I made by copying some pictures of Fox's neck sander and it does a great job but it is not very universal. A lot of fuss goes into shaping anything other than my standard 25.4" scale length. I think the real tricky part is making a neck shaping jig that also shapes the heel. I have not been able to think of anything yet that would shape the heel and the neck profile.

Jesse
Hi Jesse - I guess it works for me and how I do it. Everybody has a system down that works for them. Its weird how if you change one little thing, it changes the carve of the neck.

The only way I could "shape" my heel or round it off a little would be to use a round over bit or a shaper bit with a radius on the end. I actually bought one to do that, but I use if for other things...I might try it some day.

Kevin.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM

absolutely brilliant!!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:51 PM

That's a very inventive jig there, nice job. That makes for some nice quick and accurate work.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That's a very inventive jig there, nice job. That makes for some nice quick and accurate work.
Thanks for the compliments guys. I realize there are other guys out there that have created similar things, I just wanted to share my version with you all.

Kevin.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:31 PM

Wow!

Small world...

That call from Vancouver about an hour ago on your call display was me. I was going to ask if you had plans....

Ah, well, guess I'll try to put a version together of my own.

Brilliant idea sir!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
acoustic guitar, custom guitar neck, healdsburg, neck carving, neck shaping