The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Arrow Unorthodox Singer/song writer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPUEz1XXDHE
Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Lane View Post
I would love to know what everyone thinks! And if you enjoy it please help by sharing and subscribing. Also, if anyone has any suggestions of other places to promote my music I'm all ears!

Thanks,
~JL

Last edited by Jonathan Lane; 02-16-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 PM

Good stuff man! You rarely hear anyone attempting vocals over this style of playing. Keep it up!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 AM

Thanks for taking a listen!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Interesting and unique style! As Subtoxin wrote, vocals over percussive playing is not very common so keep honing this style and I think eventually you will have your own unique sound and following. I'd like to hear the lyrics better. Your vocal, although on pitch, gets muddied behind the guitar. Also, IMHO, percussive playing is at it's best when it establishes and maintains the beat and rhythm in a song. The finger drumming and hand taps in some places of this song sounds more gratuitous than rhythmic. In other words, it didn't do anything to maintain timing or establish a catchy rhythm so it just sounds like it was added for technique sake rather than to build or grow the song musically.

As for promoting your music on the web, I have not found any sites that are very effective without putting a lot of time and effort into them. The AGF is a good place to get feedback and collaborate on anything guitar related, but I don't think you will get much promotion here. This is a discussion board, so you will get much more discussion of your music if you are willing to discuss other folks work, too. In fact, that is how all the other so-called music promotion sites work. The number of subscribers you get on YouTube is directly proportional to the number of others you subscribe to! In my estimation, you will get one return subscriber for every 3 or 4 you subscribe to.

The same or similar return ratio seems to occur on ReverbNation, SoundCloud, and most other music sites. However, once you put in the initial work and pass a certain threshold the shear number of subscribers, followers, or fans will begin to generate more activity by itself. Eventually, it becomes self promoting. However, if you do not engage your fan base, interest will wane and they will move elsewhere.

The modern artist-fan relationship is much more personal-based than the old time "star-on-a-pedestal" model. I have noticed that when I have fanned an artist or group with tens of thousands (or more) fans, I almost always get a return 'thank you' note and a 'new fan' notice. Even modern pop stars maintain Facebook or Twitter accounts to make sure they are connecting with their fans.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it helps!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 AM

Jonathan,

Loved it!!! You are one talented young fella!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Thank you for taking the time to write all that, it's all very helpful! Very much appreciated!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Thanks Lisa!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:03 PM

Jonathan,

For what it's worth, I'm usually not a fan of this style yet I found myself watching your video all the way through. I actually enjoyed it. I agree with some of the critiques on the vocals and felt, at times, the percussive stuff was just a little too forced, but I think you have loads of potential as a songwriter and you're obviously very talented. Just keep at it!

Bob,

Great post about promotion, thanks for that.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM

Thanks, MountainMan! Your comment is worth a lot and I'm really happy you enjoyed it enough to watch it through the end. Thank you again for the kind words, all critiques are taken whole hearted and very welcomed!

~JL
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM

Very nice, well executed, great feeling. It is not my type of playing ( I'm a beater, strummer, actually I punish my guitar hahahaha) but I do appreciate your style. An artist. Keep it up !
Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Thank you for listening! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :-)
Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 PM

I'll be honest...it's very impressive to look at. That said, listening to it on CD I'm not sure if your percussive technique would shine through as does in a video.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Thank you for being honest, close your eyes and listen…hopefully it'll shine through as an enjoyable song still! :-) Thanks for taking a listen!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:38 PM
AGF Administrator

The playing is great. Timing was a little inconsistent, but not unexpected considering the difficulty in singing along with such a dynamic playing technique.

The main thing that stands out to me me was how buried your voice was behind the effects. Underneath it all I can tell you have a pleasant sounding voice, so let it shine through.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
fingerstyle, jon gomm, percussive, singer/song writer, solo