The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-24-2021, 12:47 PM

Default Revisiting the N2 neck

I had a few Rainsongs previously that I sold for various reasons but not specifically because of the N2 neck. I then acquired an OM with an N1 neck that I really loved but wanted a short scale. So now I have a new CH PA and I am getting reacquainted with the N2 neck

I realize its not actually a very deep neck but just has a lot a shoulder to it making it a U, but a shallow U by vintage standards. It feels like a handful though.

Oddly the satin finish on the neck somehow makes it feel better than the previous gloss finish N2 I owned. I know that doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, it feels pretty good overall and I think makes barre chords a little easier as it provides more leverage. I do get that feeling of the sharp fret board edge from the big shoulder but its not a deal breaker.

I also think it works better for me with the small body as I ted to play that more neck up which puts my wrist in a more comfortable position.

Last edited by blue4now; 02-25-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4now View Post

I realize its not actually a very deep neck but just has a lot a shoulder to it making it a U, but a shallow U by vintage standards. It feels like a handful though.

Oddly the satin finish on the neck somehow makes it feel better than the previous gloss finish N2 I owned. I know that doesn't make much sense.

Anyway, it feels pretty good overall and I think makes barr chords a little easier as it provides more leverage. I do get that feeling of the sharp fret board edge from the big shoulder but its not a deal breaker.

I also think it works better for me with the small body as I ted to play that more neck up which puts my wrist in a more comfortable position.
Hi Blue.

Got an H-DR/T last year with N2 neck.

I agree that it's comfortable to play. There was a five minute blip when my thumb encountered the shoulder of the D. Made a note not to put the thumb on the shoulder and all is well.

Was worried by some AGFers who find the N2 to be clunky - yikes!

Fortunately there is a RainSong local dealer and I was able to confirm that it plays much the same as other guitars such as the Gibson j15, Martin D16 and Taylor 3xx.

Measured the width, thickness, circumference and taper much the same. Didn't notice the shoulder of the D, until I got my own.

My fret fingers are short (size small cold weather guitarist gloves). I rotate my hand around to easily fret open C, open G, and barre chords. And reach around to play bass runs with ring and middle fingers so no thumb fretting needed.

I revived the poll thread that reports 77% OK with N2 to help AGFers who aren't able to test drive the N2 neck.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2021, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

I definitely noticed the difference between the N2 and the neck styles popular on modern Taylors and Martins- the N2 felt much thicker - but I adapted to it in less than an hour - and I can go back and forth now without a problem. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not one of those neck sensitive people.

I agree with the OP’s comment that barres seem easier on the N2 neck.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:10 PM

I own and rather like the N1 original neck on my WS-1000 that was made in early 2001. I have also played N2 necks many times, and they work OK for me while feeling "different". But I don't have the same number of hours logged on those. I don't own anything with an N2 or NS neck. No prejudice, it just hasn't worked out that way when purchasing.

There was a time when I thought playing comfort came down simply to 1-11/16" or 1-3/4" nut width. But the fret board radius (an unusually flat 20" on Rainsong), rolled fret board edges, shoulder shape, degree of taper as you move up the neck, and other factors come into play too. It is not nearly as cut-and-dried as it first appears. The beauty of a fixed commodity like N2 is that if you know that you like it, the next one comes out of the same mold and will be identical.

Last edited by Earl49; 02-26-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
There was a time when I thought playing comfort came down simply to 1-11/16" or 1-3/4" nut width. But the fret board radius (an unusually flat 20" on Rainsong), rolled fret board edges, shoulder shape, degree of taper as you move up the neck, and other factors come into play too. It is not nearly as cut-and-dried as it first appears. The beauty of a fixed commodity like N2 is that if you know that you like it, the next one comes out of the same mold and will be identical.
Well said Earl. It is a combination of so many factors; starting with the player's physical needs and the player's style, then you have the attributes of a given neck. In my opinion, the most important interface to the player is the neck. Thus there is no perfect neck short of customization and consultation. Even very forward thinking luthiers like Emerald can only offer the former.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber