The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-16-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Alhambra LR5

I'm curious about a new guitar my buddy in another town just acquired, the Alhambra LR5. At some point I'll probably get a chance to try it (without a belt buckle), and I'm interested in what I want to know about it beforehand so I can focus and appreciate it.

I've played/owned dozens of high/low priced electrics and a few steel-stringed acoustics. I know what I like about necks, frets, playability, tone/volume, general feel, etc. But I don't know squat about nylon stringed instruments. Classical-wise (unless you told me), I might never differentiate a $300 Cordoba from something worth a LOT more. As a flatpicking rock and blues guy, many subtleties could well be lost on me.

The obvious thing I noticed in a picture was the addition of 6 sound slits in the upper bout, just below the player's chin. I suppose there's a reflector in there somewhere to project sound right up at the player. Makes sense to me.

So what else do I want to be thinking about when I reel off my entire "classical" repertoire (Dust in the Wind and Classical Gas) on this impressive looking guitar?

Thanks for points of interest you can share.

Last edited by tinnitus; 06-17-2020 at 12:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical