The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-08-2020, 07:43 PM

Default Fretted notes noticeably sharp or flat

I have an old Yamaha G-245SII that I cannot get to play in tune. The intonation checks out. Every note on every fret is within expected tolerance. Every guitar has some "slop", but this is unusable.

Today I finally discovered that fretting then moving my finger towards the bridge causes the note to go significantly flat, and go sharp when I roll me finger back towards the nut. God forbid I shift my finger(s) while playing a chord. It's a mess. I've got a couple dozen guitars, elec and acoustic, but this is my only nylon string.

What sagely advice can you offer a sausage fingered rock guitarist that is trying to record a proper nylon guitar part?

Does this "just happen"? Frets too small / large?

you should be able to see the issue here:

https://youtu.be/QPpjY7sP5XA
Old 06-08-2020, 08:28 PM

Default Strings

Maybe change strings....nylon strung instruments sometime intimate badly with the "wrong" or worn strings.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

The guitar is fine.

Slide (or "roll") the finger forward towards the bridge with any kind of pressure and you are pushing the string towards the bridge and it will intonate flat.
Slide the finger away from the bridge with any kind of pressure and you are pulling the string away from the bridge and it will intonate sharp. That's to be
expected and especially on nylon strings and even more so with thinner low tension strings and/or with lowered tunings. Your technique needs to take this
into account.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-08-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:22 PM

Come to think of it, the strings are pretty old. Let me see if new, possibly heavier ones help.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:25 PM

Totally understood. The Steve Vai, among others,vibrato method. Thanks for the reply. I’m going to try heavier strings tomorrow.

I only brought it to the forum because this performance is radically different then any other guitar I’ve ever played.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:27 AM

I found nylon strings last around 3 months playing up to one hour per day even less. There is definitely a point where the sounds just goes poor, I can almost detect it right away then play for another couple of weeks as the guitar no longer tunes up properly, the tuner shows green but it sounds out.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:02 AM

Default Bridge?

This might be outside the box given the manufacturer, but I had a luthier made classical that didn’t intonate properly until I discovered that it had a unique bridge where the strings didn’t rest on the slots. Changing the strings to their proper resting place made all the difference
Old 06-09-2020, 05:46 AM

if the G string is the one that is the most trouble, try Savarez 520 F strings.

They have a wound G which I found helps with some of the intonation problems
Old 06-09-2020, 08:50 AM

rick-slo has it right. It's one of the pro's/con's of nylon. It's more "expressive," which means the pitch and tone varies to a greater degree than with steel strings, with respect to both left hand and right hand technique (pressure, bending, attack speed, attack angle, nail shape, nail thickness, hammer-ons, pull-offs, etcs...).

If I'm slow and very careful with my technique, my tone is much more consistent and proper. Or, I pick up a steel string and I just magically sound more consistent. I remember the first time I played an electric (I started in classical). I was like, "Whoa...I sound good."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical