The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM

I had an Artist Series Parlor a couple of years ago. Beautiful guitar and sounded good too. I just never connected with the neck feel. I wanted to like it, but in the end didn't. I sold it for what I bought it for, so they seem to hold their value for what it's worth.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:37 AM

I think Alvarez is sometimes looked a little down on by "guitar snobs" as a "cheaper" brand, but they make very solid quality guitars IMO and make tons of models. Don't know why they don't get more love but they deserve it.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
I'm own an AF60 and an AP70 in the Masterworks series. They are great all round guitars. Sound, comfort and play-ability.
These are not Masterworks guitars, they are artist models. That's what the A stands for.

OP - I have a Masterworks MFA70 that rivals guitars at 3x it's price. The best feeling neck of any guitar I have ever owned.

I also own the LJ2 mini guitar. The little jumbo is not remarkable in any way, but plays great, sounds very good and comes with a fantastic gig bag at 1/2 the price of a GS Mini.

An Alvarez 00 is in my future.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I've had 2 A-Yairi dreads, a '96 DY-74, and a '86 DY-90. Both spruce over rosewood. The DY-74 stands tall with just about any current $2000 instrument, while the DY-90 is simply the best sounding guitar I've ever played. I just sold a great $4k big name 2016 instrument which I loved because I just wasn't playing it after I got the DY-90. Clarity, projection, openness and air, superb balance and killer bass. Just a great sound in a 32 year old instrument. Very straight, too.
Condition of vintage instruments is always a wild card; Yairis have rock solid necks with a built in magnesium reinforcing channel, but they can have issues elsewhere, as can any guitar, and many of the necks can't really be reset because of use of epoxy at the neck joint in many models. The Yairis have a signature sound, call it dynamic, a bit bright and forward, rather than laid back or warm, and that must appeal to your own taste, of course. Great full body and projection.

Last edited by jonbee; 02-18-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM

One of their main guys - Chris Meikle - is from Durham area of UK but, unfortunately, the dealer networks are pretty locked down and they typically don't get floor space. Shame as some of their higher end guitars look very interesting.

Gazza
Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 PM

I have owned my Alvarez Baritone for about 4 years now. Still impressed with it every time that I play it.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM

Alvarez, and Alvarez Yairi guitars are very under rated. They are great instruments.

Ed
Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM

I own an Alvarez ABT-60 Baritone from the artist series, an Alvarez MD65 all solid dreadnought, and two Yairi Masterworks dreadnoughts, a DYMR70SB and a DYM80e. All great guitars, the Alvarez Masterworks is an awesome guitar for the money, and the two Yairis are absolute masterpieces. I'm looking at adding another Yairi Masterworks coming up. I'm loyal to two guitar brands, Martins and Alvarez/Yairis.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 PM

Yeah, my friend brought a AD60 model to the house and he said they go for about $375. It played and sounded great for the price point. I was really impressed. I recently purchased a Martin so another new guitar just isn't in the plans at the moment. But I'd certainly consider one to use while camping, back yard bonfires or traveling. Pretty much anywhere I wouldn't want my new Martin subjected to.
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:57 PM

Ditto here.
A guitar geek friend suggested a relatively inexpensive Alvarez as my first acoustic/electric. Still have it, as I enjoy playing it every single time I pull it out.
My second Alvarez was a 1977 Yairi DY 57 from Japan (the "Winchester"), which my research indicates was intended to be a knockoff of a D-18.
While this guitar cosmetically looks like it's been used a lot over the 4 decades, it also sounds wonderful as it's aged over the 4 decades.
I have nothing but positive things to say about Alvarez.
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:11 PM

I have read recently about Alvarez "slim neck" profile but I have played a couple of used ones and both have a great for me thicker neck carve. Did Alvarez recently change (slim down) their neck profiles? I played a AD60, maybe from 2001 or so and an AP90, which they don't seem to make any longer, both necks were lovely. Looking for a lefty so choices are limited, would greatly appreciate any thoughts/experiences with current production neck carves. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefrigRaider View Post
. If you search through AGF you will never, and I mean literally, find negative comments on this brand.
This^^^^^^^

I play one in the past. No clue of what the model was. It was very good instrument for the price.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:14 AM

Very nice guitars, and as far as build quality is concerned I'd put them up there with Yamaha. My AP70 is a fine, short-scale 12-fretter for relatively little outlay.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJVTssHagQU
Old 02-18-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulsob View Post
I have read recently about Alvarez "slim neck" profile but I have played a couple of used ones and both have a great for me thicker neck carve. Did Alvarez recently change (slim down) their neck profiles? I played a AD60, maybe from 2001 or so and an AP90, which they don't seem to make any longer, both necks were lovely. Looking for a lefty so choices are limited, would greatly appreciate any thoughts/experiences with current production neck carves. Thanks in advance.
On the contrary, I had an AD60 last year for a short while and it had a very thick neck, like a U shape, and with a 1 3/4 nut. I returned it primarily because I like thinner necks and 1 11/16 nuts. It was a very good sounding guitar though.

Last edited by grasser; 02-18-2018 at 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2018, 08:58 AM

Default Kazuo built mine...

I currently own two, one I call an Alvarez and the other I refer to as the Yairi. The Alvarez is an AD-60 I keep out in my signpainting studio in my back yard to play while waiting for paint to dry. It's a highly acceptable guitar for its price point. The Yairi is a DY90 I recently inherited from a very wealthy friend. He went to Japan in 1982 and directly commissioned Kazuo Yairi to be hands on with its build. It's a stunning guitar that has won over a number of Gibson, Martin and Taylor owners at a jam I take it to every Friday. My friend maintained it in pristine condition. In over 50 years it's hands down the best guitar I've owned and the only one that finally got me over having my 1983 Martin custom D28 stolen from me. Here's a soundclip of me playing it on a song I wrote a few recording artists are considering recording. I apologize in advance you're having to listen to me singing!
https://soundcloud.com/user-56655734...lou-with-solos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion