The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Rainsong H-WS1000N2 12 Fret

Been missing the Rainsong after selling my Shorty to an AGF member some time ago. Thought about trying other brands, but much prefer to play before I pay and I like to support my local dealer. I've only had it a few days and have not been able to photograph it. I ordered it with the 12 fret neck and electronics, it has the gloss finish and nice Gotoh's to boot, it took almost 4 weeks to get it. For my preferences it is the best sounding Rainsong I have played, and I think I have played them all. Full tone with lots of sustain with a bit mellower sound (compared to other Rainsongs). I love it ! The Elixir 80/20's aren't my favorites, but I know if it sounds this good with them, it will likely get better with different strings. And a big thanks to Ted for offering me his opinion and suggestions. An AGF supporting dealer helping me when he knew I was buying local shows a nice touch of class. Hopefully I can support him in the future. I'll try to add a few pics later this week if anyone is interested in seeing it. I also really liked the Rainsong APLE and the CA Cargo was great for a smaller guitar.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:38 PM

Congratulations!
Old 08-28-2016, 09:41 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Congrats! Perfect guitar for your region.

JR
Old 08-29-2016, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

We need pics!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 AM

A WS1000 with a 12-frett neck would be a custom order obviously. Didn't know that was possible.

Why not a WS1005? Those come with the 12-frett neck as standard. (admittedly I'm a sucker for an offset soundhole)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-29-2016, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I was originally going for the WS1005, I was really impressed the first time I played it, but liked the tone less and less the more I played it. I wanted a more mellow/warm tone than you get with the bi top. Plus there was a pretty large price difference which entered into it. The 12 fret neck was a custom order for no up charge. I liked the SMH, but wanted a gloss finish. They wouldn't put the sharks on it, said those are reserved for higher end models.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

I dream of a 12 fret Black Ice WS...

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 08-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Yes, we're interested in photos! Congrats on your new RainSong!
Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 PM

Congrats, NGD's are always fun. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 PM

Congrats on your new guitar John! As you already know, Rainsongs are great guitars.

I'm curious though your findings that the H-WS1000N2 is a warmer guitar than the Shorty? Maybe the unidirectional top isn't the warmest afterall? The 12 fret design does add to the sweeter and warmer tones though- true on wood guitars too.

Does your NS neck have dots?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Yes, it has the dots. To me the hybrid design seems to take most of the edge off. I mainly strum, so I can see why a finger picker may prefer the clarity of the uni top. I was really surprised how good the APLE sounded, looks like a fancy Shorty and I had "assumed" it sounded pretty much the same. The difference I heard was not minor. It almost made me change the plan. LOL Pics tomorrow.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber