The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballbryan View Post
Peoriapicker.... I feel the same way. I like all types of guitar playing, but after I started classical guitar lessons I was hooked! I love the nylon strings and I am enjoying the journey with our instructor. It's been challenging and beautiful....

Best of luck.... Bryan
What a great way to put learning an instrument, regardless of whether it is classical, acoustic, or non-guitar. Same thing I could say about relationships
Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM

I'm primarily a steel string player. I just got into classical guitar about a few months ago and bought a Takamine cd132sc about a few weeks ago. This is because I recently moved to Baltimore, which has a pretty active classical guitar scene with Peabody Conservatory in town.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 AM

I ve always loved nylon strings but have never really made the commitment to study classical till last year. So mostly a steel string player here. I think we are really lucky, as guitarists, to have the possibilities of electrics, archtops, acoustics, classicals, flamenco and so on.. So many musical worlds in essentially one instrument
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
I ve always loved nylon strings but have never really made the commitment to study classical till last year. So mostly a steel string player here. I think we are really lucky, as guitarists, to have the possibilities of electrics, archtops, acoustics, classicals, flamenco and so on.. So many musical worlds in essentially one instrument
You got that right. It really is a diverse instrument given all the different nuances that 6 strings can give you on different guitars.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You got that right. It really is a diverse instrument given all the different nuances that 6 strings can give you on different guitars.
I'll second that - and add 12 strings too.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 PM

As of yesterday, I am now looking at classical / Spanish guitars. I have two steel strings, but now want to expand my knowledge.

I have bought a 1970's BM Espana off Ebay for the princely sum of 18 pounds (about 28 dollars). Before the hoots of derision for it not being a high-end guitar, it is to be stripped down and having new tuners, bone nut and saddle, rosewood bridge and completing the upgrade with d'Addario Pro Arte medium tension strings, this should be complete within the week. Changing the strings on a classical will be a first, but I am open to a challenge.

It came looking in a pretty sorry state, with three tuners missing, covered in dust and what appeared to be soot here and there. After a gentle clean up with warm water on a microfibre cloth, a nice looking guitar emerged with no cracks anywhere, a couple of small bumps here and there, but for an old guitar it is in excellent condition. Also the three strings that were on it appeared to be something from the ark. This guitar was in need of serious TLC after many years of being stuck in an attic or corner of a garage somewhere.

I am currently cleaning off all the black wood stain of the fret-board while waiting for all the parts to arrive, and will then use some lemon oil - unsure whether to re-stain with black wood dye or leave it plain, I think the strings against black and shiny frets will have a good effect visually.

I am looking forward to learning a new style of playing and actually like this old BM Espana more and more as it is being given a new lease of life ...not sure, but I could have sworn it purred as I started to clean it down.

Sorry for the lengthy post for something that could have been condensed into three or four lines, as you can probably tell, I do enjoy bringing an old (albeit probably unpopular) guitar back to life.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey. Just wondering ... who here is primarily a nylon string guitarist (whether classical or hybrid), who just meddles with one and is more of a steel string guitarist, and who doesn't play nylon string at all?
These days, mostly steel strings with a flat pick, but I spent at least 20 years when almost the only thing I played was classical music on a classical guitar.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Nylon only these days. Play mostly improv Spanish-Arabic sound and will play a structured work from my own composition repertoire to finish out an hour set. Find it relaxing to play music that flows from my thoughts/mood.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
These days, mostly steel strings with a flat pick, but I spent at least 20 years when almost the only thing I played was classical music on a classical guitar.
Brad
Brad, I'm going to assume that you consider yourself a better classical player than acoustic player ... do you?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:44 PM

I identify as a classical player; after all, I'm classically trained, and if I'm only bringing one guitar to the gig it's likely to be my classical.

That said, I regularly do several things that would make most "classical" guitarists wince: I play electric, steel-string, and resophonic guitars (although the latter one is fretted in just intonation and thus a de facto experimental instrument). I often play with a pick (although rarely on the nylon). I also hardly play anything from the "standard" or even Segovia repertoire, preferring to focus on contemporary and experimental music.

I do have extensive experience as a fingerstyle guitarist and maintain an easy-listening sort of rep that I perform on a combination of nylon and steel-string guitars.

But yes, I'm primarily a classical player...or so I think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical