The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: What would you do???
RS Shorty 11 32.35%
CA OX 10 29.41%
Stay with Martin 13 38.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Default I Want To Believe

First time poster...been lurking for a while

I want so badly to be a OM Martin convert.

RS Shorty or CA OX for both finger style and strumming......

Any help would be appreciated. The more I've read, the more complex it has gotten.

Love the warm sound of a Martin but would love to be able to get it out of a CF.

Thank you!

Last edited by akagilligan; 05-13-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Clarity...
Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM

What's complex about it?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by akagilligan View Post
First time poster...been lurking for a while

I want so badly to be a OM Martin convert.

RS Shorty or CA OX for both finger style and strumming......

Any help would be appreciated. The more I've read, the more complex it has gotten.

Love the warm sound of a Martin but would love to be able to get it out of a CF.

Thank you!
Martin Acoustics on a carbon fiber guitar?
... have you tried the Composite Acoustics Vintage Performer?
Maybe ask htn Tommy Nichol for sound clips?
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM

You can't replace a real wooden guitar. I've owned them all, and i like CF...but it does not satisfy me as much as wood.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLight View Post
You can't replace a real wooden guitar. I've owned them all, and i like CF...but it does not satisfy me as much as wood.
I really don't mean this in any way but a positive one but I find that wood can be a poor substitute for a carbon guitar, in that I have played carbon so long my wood guitars don't give me the same clarity and liveliness. It really can be a mind set, each offering something a little different and you tend to set your expectations from your norm. My new Rainsong Parlor is as satisfying as any wood guitar I have owned.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 05-14-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 AM

If you want the sound of a Martin, your best bet would be... a Martin.

The only CF guitar that likely comes close to the Martin sound is a vintage voiced CA Legacy (Vintage Performer, etc.). However, that's a dreadnought and noticeably bigger than the guitars you're talking about. I've never played an OX, but that seems to be pretty popular and CA comes the closest of the CF manufacturers to producing a sounds-like-wood guitar, so it would be worth trying one if you can.

The RS Shorty seems like a really nice guitar from what I've read. I don't think it's likely to sound anything like a Martin, though.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM

Mulder?!?!?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
The only CF guitar that likely comes close to the Martin sound is a vintage voiced CA Legacy (Vintage Performer, etc.)
Ditto. I've owned a GX, Legacy and Vintage Legacy. The Vintage Legacy is the closest you'll get to Martin tone. It's very reminiscent of their HD-28/HD-35 series in regards of tone. If you can find a pre-Peavy CA Vintage Legacy, GRAB IT! It's a wonderful sounding guitar without the hassle (i.e. yearly setups, humidity etc.).
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Mulder?!?!?
Skully???
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I have owned almost every guitar in the CA lineup as well as a few Rainsong’s and an Emerald.

If you love wood, stay with wood.

That being said if you have a little bit of an open mind the CA line to me still sounds the most like a wooden guitar. Not exact but really very close. The Rainsong line (at least the ones I've owned) Are a lighter built guitar and are in general have a brighter tone. Not a bad thing just different.

I will go with the flow and say that the most wooden tone of the CA's I have owned or still own is the Vintage Voiced Legacy Dreads but that really any of them lean towards a more woody sound.

I currently have a newer Peavey Produced OX on ebay for sale the reason I'm selling is not the sound at all as it's pretty impressive for it's size. I just don't care for the tiny neck that much or it would stay put in my collection.

They are great guitars no matter what they are made of!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you for the great feedback.

I think it's time to go explore the CA line a bit more.

Reason I'd been with OM size in the past was shoulder stuff due to too much computer work.

Maybe I can find a middle ground somewhat smaller than a full dread that sounds close enough.

Thank you again.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM

I don't get the wood v. CF thing, why is it even an issue? Or maybe I should say, and issue more than usual? If you need spruce, you don't buy cedar. If you need a dread, you don't buy a jumbo. If you need wood, you don't buy a CF. That being said, if you like playing the guitar you ought to try everything out there! Variety is the spice of life! I can only afford to have one guitar, and it's a CF, but if I could afford to have others I'd have some wood guitars too. (Probably a few other CF guitars first, though!)

Sorry that's not on topic. And maybe the rant is unnecessary. I guess the take home point is that wood is VERY different than carbon fiber. (Or is it?) So there's no CF guitar that sounds at all like a Martin OM. And, of course, this is neither good nor bad.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Coe View Post
I don't get the wood v. CF thing, why is it even an issue? Or maybe I should say, and issue more than usual? If you need spruce, you don't buy cedar. If you need a dread, you don't buy a jumbo. If you need wood, you don't buy a CF. That being said, if you like playing the guitar you ought to try everything out there! Variety is the spice of life! I can only afford to have one guitar, and it's a CF, but if I could afford to have others I'd have some wood guitars too. (Probably a few other CF guitars first, though!)

Sorry that's not on topic. And maybe the rant is unnecessary. I guess the take home point is that wood is VERY different than carbon fiber. (Or is it?) So there's no CF guitar that sounds at all like a Martin OM. And, of course, this is neither good nor bad.
Pretty much on target.....it seems that many of the carbon afficianados of which I am a big fan as well are expected to drop enjoying wood guitars. Trust me you can enjoy both sides of the guitar spectrum and when they sort of meld together even better.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Coe View Post

Or.......maybe the rant was necessary because you're spot on and it really helped. Thank you! I've never posted and it being important enough to ask is telling that a good part of me wanted just needed to make it make sense.

Thanks again to everyone that steered me toward CA.

Liking the charcoal OX....I'm not finding them readily available.

Who's recommended that would have a Charcoal OX in stock?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM

It is an issue, because wood guitars are the standard by which all guitars are judged. If someone likes the sound of a certain wood guitar, but wants the advantages of CF, it only makes sense to inquire if any CF guitars sound similar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber