The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I've played with folks who, highly dependent on the markers, were thrown off by having to place a capo (in order to be able to play along) above where they had ever used one. I've read posts expressing an inability to play guitars with elaborate fretboard inlay ornamentation. It is preferable not to be dependent on markers but for many players, the consequences of dependency may never occur. If one is happy relying on markers fine but then one shouldn't dispute the benefit of not needing them even they deem it inapplicable to the way they play the guitar.

I mentioned this thread to a casual player who then said: "I depend on the dots and I'm okay with that for what I do but for anyone starting out, I'd say it's not a big deal but they're better off learning not to need them."
as i mentioned earlier, i'd prefer not to depend on the dots (well, a single 7th fret dot in my case). i agree there are circumstances that could make a dependency on dots an issue. but i also wonder if a capo could throw off a player who doesn't depend on the dots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
No dots on the guitar...it's only fair then to have all white keys on the keyboard.
has that ever been done?

these guys make guitar and bass strings that are color coded. i think they have a set that alternates black and white for a piano kind of look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I think she's peeking.
she sure is pointing her head at where she wants to look, isn't she. which might lead us to our next question: beyond the dots, should one look at the fingerboard when playing?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Default I miss the dots

I am sure I saw Dale Kavanaugh with Amadeus String Duo move her dots when she cappoed her guitar. I'd put money on it...

Do what works... I have no doubt you could get used to not having dots but if you like them, go for it.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM

Last edited by softballbryan; 05-07-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 AM

All my guitars currently have dots, while actually I don't really like them. I don't have a really good reason not to, I guess it might just be solely aesthetic, just personal taste I guess. However, I don't like being dependent on them, as whenever I pick up a guitar without them, I tend to have to really pay attention to what I am doing or I might make a mistake. I purchased a used guitar off of ebay recently that I believe does not have them, so hopefully I will be able to get used to playing without them.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 PM

I play many different guitars -- some are non-standard scale lengths, some have up to 27 easily accessible frets, some are nylon string, some electric, some steel string acoustic, one is a bass. Yeah -- I depend on the dots. Especially during that first few minutes of putting one guitar down and picking up the other.

Back in the days when I only had one guitar that I played a lot I could do most anything without paying much attention to the dots.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM

Why don't some builder put dots in? Tradition. I like to put one in on the 7th which is good enough for me. I had a guitar in stock when a guitar student from a local university came to see me. At his request I let him take the guitar to his professor to get his opinion on it. He liked the guitar but would not let his student use it because it had a 7th fret dot marker... Yup, tradition.

I since learned it is better if I am building for back stock to just leave the dot off. It is real easy to put one in but not so easy to take one out.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 AM

I thought I missed the dots after reading this so went out and bought a sticker set - turns out I dont miss them at all - they were only only gtar 2 days

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2015 DK1 by DK Custom Guitars
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical