The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Composite Acoustics Model Designation Changes

I just visited the CA website (under construction) and noted the following changes...

All models are now available in either Standard (center soundhole) or "i" (offset soundhole) designs, and either "Road Tough (RT)" or High-Gloss finish. High-Gloss now offers as standard, what were previously upgraded tuners (Gotoh 503) and electronics (Baggs iMix) which were standard on the 8x series.
  • X (Standard): Previously 5S, 7S, 8S (S=slim).
  • Xi: Offset soundhole version of the S body style. I think this is a new offering.
  • GX (Standard): Previously 5M, 7M, 8M
  • GXi: Previously offset soundhole models 5iM (RT finish) and 7iM (High-Gloss finish)
  • Legacy: Previously 6 series Dread. No "i" is shown on the website, but the description suggests there is also a dread with offset soundhole (guess we'll see).
I wasn't aware of CA guitars before the 5x, 7x, 8x designations, but based on what I've since read, I think CA is somewhat returning to their earlier model designations?

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-20-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:17 AM

I saw this too and was going to start a thread on it. It does indeed look like they're reverting to the old naming scheme and maybe pruning the models down. The web site says they're still doing work on the site so we can't be sure until all the updates are done.

I'm glad they're going back. The 5-6-7-8 naming scheme quite frankly wasn't that good.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:19 AM

I just visited, and liked the simpler names. The problem is, the "i" models between the "G" and the "GX" series looks a lot different. I like the GXi better because of the bigger body, but I think it's probably more because of the hi-gloss finish.

CA Cargo
Washburn EA20SDL
Fender GC23S
Old 10-06-2008, 05:44 AM

Sound clips are working GXi pretty impressive. Wish they would play the same sound on each clip so that you could judge the differences better.
Steve
Old 10-06-2008, 06:29 AM

I had also seen on the new Carbon Guitar Forum that Mike MacNichol has started that they will eventually be offering the Cargo in a gloss finish for a little extra. I would love to see a gloss tobacco burst on a Cargo! I'm sure loving my 7iM with that finish. Here's the link to Mikes new forum site for any of you Carbon guitar lovers. A lot of great information on the genre and Mike is a great guy to deal with if you're looking for one.

http://carbonguitar.com/smf/index.php

Jim B

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber