The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-26-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Nice work! You took the simple piece and phrased it in your own way with "classical" changes in dynamics, repeats and ritards to add more interest.
And I guess you were serious about not liking the C# in that little chromatic run. You played it straight. I agree with Charles though. It's such a simple piece, with very little to draw on in terms of special interest, so taking advantage of a passing note from a different key makes good sense, especially where it's positioned at the end of the 1st movement. Maybe a little stretching of the pulse along with a staccato attack would have highlighted that run a little more in that style.
But, it's your gig! and you're free to do as you wish.
Lastly, I would just like to commend you for doing this type of thread. You put in a lot of effort and I'm sure that a lot of people enjoyed the process very much, especially with the recording at the end.
Take a bow, you deserve one!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-26-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I really enjoyed this thread. A piece like this I would not have thought deeply about, picking fingerings that work quickly and trying to make it sound musical. It would be something of a sight reading exercise. And yet there was plenty to look at and understand in the harmony and construction and I really feel I understand it better as a result. So I've made a note to self to play a little bit more attention to the details when picking up a piece and not to take the first fingering I think of as the best for granted. Thanks for doing it.
Thank you, Martin, for giving your thoughts. I really appreciate them.

I could probably do a 12 page analysis of baa-baa black sheep, so stay tuned for that! But you're right there is often more to a piece than one might suspect at first glance. I seem to recall reading about Segovia working out a new piece and he would play it this way and that way, then that way and this way. I find it almost like a puzzle and quite enjoyable.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Nice work! You took the simple piece and phrased it in your own way with "classical" changes in dynamics, repeats and ritards to add more interest.
And I guess you were serious about not liking the C# in that little chromatic run. You played it straight. I agree with Charles though. It's such a simple piece, with very little to draw on in terms of special interest, so taking advantage of a passing note from a different key makes good sense, especially where it's positioned at the end of the 1st movement. Maybe a little stretching of the pulse along with a staccato attack would have highlighted that run a little more in that style.
But, it's your gig! and you're free to do as you wish.
Lastly, I would just like to commend you for doing this type of thread. You put in a lot of effort and I'm sure that a lot of people enjoyed the process very much, especially with the recording at the end.
Take a bow, you deserve one!
Thank you Andre. Those are very kind words.

I rerecorded the piece, and the sound is better now.

I was serious about not liking the C#. I find it almost cutesy. So I cleverly hid it behind the D note. But I can appreciate leaning on it, sort like what can happen in Baroque music where the note 1/2 step down from the chord tone is played strongly on the beat.

That's one of the neat and amazing things about music, how even a simple piece like this can be interpreted in many ways. Even for me I can imagine doing it fairly straight and fast, or really loose with a ton of rubato. In the end I tend to take the Goldilocks version of not too fast, not too slow, not too strict, not too loose.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Thank you, Martin, for giving your thoughts. I really appreciate them.

I could probably do a 12 page analysis of baa-baa black sheep, so stay tuned for that! But you're right there is often more to a piece than one might suspect at first glance. I seem to recall reading about Segovia working out a new piece and he would play it this way and that way, then that way and this way. I find it almost like a puzzle and quite enjoyable.
With a 4 year old and an 8 month old I'm waiting with bated breath for Baa Baa Black Sheep. Its about all I get to play at the moment!
Old 07-26-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
With a 4 year old and an 8 month old I'm waiting with bated breath for Baa Baa Black Sheep. Its about all I get to play at the moment!
Well, 16 bar tunes is what you're going to want to focus on. Maybe 8 bars at a time. Play and sing for them, though, that's how the music gets in there.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:25 PM

Thank you mc1 for suggesting this piece. I started with classical and haven't learned a new classical piece in many years. This one was a lot of fun and really did help me think about good technique more than I usually do.

Got another to suggest?

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 07-26-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Thank you mc1 for suggesting this piece. I started with classical and haven't learned a new classical piece in many years. This one was a lot of fun and really did help me think about good technique more than I usually do.

Got another to suggest?
Thanks _zedagive. It's so cool to get replies from those who might have read or followed the thread. Very nice.

I've got dozens or more, right off the top of my head. I partly chose this one because I wasn't at all familiar with it. But I've come to like it quite a bit. I hear it in my sleep. But that's just because it's on my mind. Maybe easy pieces will be my specialty. Even easy pieces are hard, in a way. At least for me they are.

If you or someone else is really looking for a piece, years ago I started a "learn a piece a week" thread here, in which I tried to showcase easy but beautiful pieces. Here it is:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=382492

It does take a bit of time, though. Enjoyable time, meaningful time, but time none the less.

But you make me think I should find another. This was fun. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Anyone post a soundcloud clip of the arrangement yet?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Anyone post a soundcloud clip of the arrangement yet?
Hi Barry,

I did a recording and it's on dropbox. It turned out ok, not great, not awful. I should try to improve the quality of they playing and the recording, but that isn't possible for me at the moment as we are doing some renovations things are a jumble. So I might also just move on. However, it's a sweet little piece that I've grown to like.

Here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv4o9vjy8t...ntino.mp3?dl=0
Old 07-31-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Hi Barry,

I did a recording and it's on dropbox. It turned out ok, not great, not awful. I should try to improve the quality of they playing and the recording, but that isn't possible for me at the moment as we are doing some renovations things are a jumble. So I might also just move on. However, it's a sweet little piece that I've grown to like.

Here is the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv4o9vjy8t...ntino.mp3?dl=0
Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try over the next week or so.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical