The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Not a smooth move

It's been a beautiful long weekend here in Ohio, I was out on the porch playing yesterday afternoon and guess what? I left my nicest classical guitar outside all evening/night/morning!

What was I thinking? That's my short scale Hill Performance, a pretty expensive guitar! Upon inspection this morning it looks OK (thank god it's still there). The neck has moved and the action is noticeably higher. I brought it in and we'll see how it settles in a couple of days. It was in the high 80s yesterday with overnight in the low 60s.

My concern is on the neck. There's a bunch of tiny bubbles now on the French polish. What do you guys think? Sand it off? Let it be? Pretty minor but the guitar was perfect.

Live and learn! I can trust my neighbors apparently

Last edited by tkoehler1; 09-05-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:25 PM

Ouch!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2016, 03:48 PM

My Hill is only a Player model (love it!) and I'd be worried if I'd left it out. Can't imagine your relief at seeing it still there. Regarding the finish issue, I'd email Kenny about it. Ive written him a few times, and though the response hasn't been immediate, he as returned emails. I've also called them and have gotten friendly help.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-05-2016, 06:33 PM

I hate it when this happens!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:11 PM

if no direct sun and humidity and dew wasnt to bad, you should be ok, let her sit out for a while with a humidifier. good luck
Old 09-05-2016, 09:11 PM

My guess is that the small bubbles are from direct sunlight or another heat source. They won't go away on their own. If your action is higher I'd again guess excessive heat.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:16 PM

First off, take a breath, then call or email Hill Guitars. They will tell you what's best. No offense to this forum but your guitar is indeed nice, and one of the luxuries of a Hill guitar is the ability to reach out to the shop it came from and get a real human response.

Unrelated story, I had a TINY crack develop in my top, from dry air caused by NYC radiator heat. I had to mail it to CA, but got it back quickly and have owned it for maybe 10 or so years since. They are GREAT.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I feel your pain. I have that exact model and love it dearly. As you probably know, the good news is that French polish is relatively simple to touch up/repair, so I'm hoping all will be well with a little time and possibly some TLC. Others are right. Kenny and his staff will be more than generous in their advice and help. Best of luck.
-Bob
Old 09-06-2016, 06:36 AM

Thanks for all the replies. The guitar was is direct sunlight for about half a day as my playing bench faces east - it would get hit from sunrise to about noon. Pretty strong sunlight as those in the mid-west know it's been a hot summer.

I'll contact Hill guitars and see what they say.

Riffmeister - that would suck even more!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical