The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-10-2016, 06:11 AM

I've owned and played several fine hand made classical guitars over the years but I have never owned or played a better guitar than an Aaron Green.

Aaron Green is located in the Boston area.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
Some would say that his are the most desired classical guitars currently being made, although his designs do deviate from the traditional Spanish standard.
Smallmans polarise opinion like nothing else out there. Real "marmite" guitars that attract a lot of vitriol, especially from armchair "experts" who frequent forums like DELCAMP.

Personally, I am a big fan of lattice braced instruments: On average they are far more responsive and have far more sustain than traditionally bracced guitars, but have a very different tonality. They don't sound like Segovia or Bream and that appears to be an issue to those brought up on those Masters. Williams has attracted a whole ton of unjustified (IMHO) critiscism for popularising and using Smallmans.

I have both lattice and traditionally braced guitars and enjoy both equally.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-10-2016, 02:45 PM

On the other hand, most Smallmans are shrill, more like a banjo than a classical guitar. By far the worst of John Williams's live performances I've seen were during the time he played Smallmans. While fast and responsive, they are also clinical, cold, shrill, and fatiguing to my ear.

(just proving your point on the polarizing-ness here -- this is how I feel, but not trying to start an argument!)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I also have guitars that are lactice braced (left) and fan braced (right). Both approaches guided by masterful hands can produce a superlative guitar.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
...they are also clinical, cold, shrill, and fatiguing to my ear.
Isn't it amazing how differently we can hear things. I have a several of William's recent CDs and none of them (with him playing his Samllman) sound like that to me. Six of one and half a dozen of somebody else's! (smile)

Dave
Old 08-10-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Smallmans polarise opinion like nothing else out there. Real "marmite" guitars that attract a lot of vitriol, especially from armchair "experts" who frequent forums like DELCAMP.

Personally, I am a big fan of lattice braced instruments: On average they are far more responsive and have far more sustain than traditionally bracced guitars, but have a very different tonality. They don't sound like Segovia or Bream and that appears to be an issue to those brought up on those Masters. Williams has attracted a whole ton of unjustified (IMHO) critiscism for popularising and using Smallmans.

Cheers,
Steve
True that!

Many traditionalists scoff, and IMO, invent pejoratives to describe Mr. Smallman's guitars. They sound anything but cold and sterile to me - to my ear Smallmans sound quite expressive with clear highs and warm lows, and they undoubtedly have a wider dynamic range than the traditional fan or ladder braced designs (which I also love).
Old 08-10-2016, 09:21 PM

If you have a Khono J,,end your search, it's as Good as anything else,,work on your technique, ,
That's the ticket!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolowarrior View Post
I am more in to acoustic guitars.
However, lately I've taken an interest in the classical guitar. I have a Kohno Pro-J and I love it.

Please list your three best classical guitar builds and a brief explanation.

Thank you
i tend to think there are thousands of superb classical guitars built by dozens and dozens of builders.

just like there is no best classical guitar player, there is no 3 best classical guitar models. i don't think it make sense to frame questions in those terms. besides the fact that no one has played every great guitar, different builders and models are striving for different results.

i do think it is interesting to read about what classical guitars members have admired.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
On the other hand, most Smallmans are shrill, more like a banjo than a classical guitar. By far the worst of John Williams's live performances I've seen were during the time he played Smallmans. While fast and responsive, they are also clinical, cold, shrill, and fatiguing to my ear.

(just proving your point on the polarizing-ness here -- this is how I feel, but not trying to start an argument!)

Have you ever actually played one ? because whilst I agree they are responsive they are the opposite of fast, I have played a few including Xuefei Yang's and they are some of the warmest most rounded toned guitars that I have played, about as far removed from the sound of a banjo imaginable.
John Williams uses an amplification system live so you are not actually hearing the instrument as is.
If you compare his earlier recordings on his Fleta and the ones on his Smallman, the most obvious difference is a less percussive sound on the Smallman, which is the thing he says he most likes about them.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:23 AM

Default Exactly...

"i do think it is interesting to read about what classical guitars members have admired."

This being the whole point of running this thread.
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 08-13-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
If you have a Khono J,,end your search, it's as Good as anything else,,work on your technique, ,
That's the ticket!
I did pull the trigger on the Kohno Pro J.
Yes, it is a fine one. I also have a 60 year old Ryoji Matsuoka
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palolowarrior View Post
"i do think it is interesting to read about what classical guitars members have admired."

This being the whole point of running this thread.
sounds good!
Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 AM

Julian Bream said the best guitar he ever owned (and he owned quite a few) was his 1973 Romanillos, that guitar was built in a batch of 6 which were the first that Romanillos built as a professional builder, according to Bream only one other instrument of the batch was really good, the rest were nothing special.
If any of those 5 guitars came on to the market, they would all fetch the lofty prices that his guitars sell for.
It's all nonsense really isn't it ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical