The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-05-2016, 06:51 AM

Diego at De Oro has always been very responsive to my questions about his products.

I exchanged a number of e-mails and photos with him after buying mine. My guitars have cutaways and I was having trouble getting the neck to the height I wanted.

Diego helped me to figure out how to place the support better and achieve the results I wanted.

FYI... my Froggy Bottom guitar steel string has a nitro finish. I use a De-oro support on it all the time. I do not use the finish shield, but I remove the support after every use. There is zero finish damage on the FB after using the support for more than a year.

My Cordoba GK Pro has a poly finish and I leave the support on the guitar 24/7with no sign of any damage on the finish.

If you contact Diego, he will certainly help you with concerns about your French polish.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-10-2016, 11:21 PM

Default Solution deals with sitting position and exploring new ways of holding guitar

So I know EXACTLY what you're dealing with. When you start to practice regularly and get really into classical guitar you tend to run into this problem one way or another. I learned very quickly from the help of my instructors and in masterclasses with great guitarists that this back pain can be solved by making sure your sitting position is correct.

By "correct" I mean that the foot stool that you're using is high enough to where you don't have to bend your back forward to reach notes from the 1st-7th frets and you don't twist your torso in anyway while holding the guitar. I like to just sit down on the chair with my two feet planted and hold my back nice and upright to get a feel of where my back should be before I grab the guitar. After you're comfortable place the guitar in a way where your back isn't compromised by twisting or bending in order to play.

Because I teach guitar and not only practice it several hours a day I found that using a foot stool was part of the problem that made my back have to twist slightly to reach high notes. Because I'm playing more and more difficult music I have to worry about making sure my back is still comfortable in really high notes on the guitar. So, I started using an ergoplay. An ergoplay is a substitute for the foot stool. It keeps both my feet planted on the floor. You can buy one on amazon or ebay pretty easily. They're not too expensive either. I would start with just fixing my back and holding the guitar properly before investing in something else.

Hope this helps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical