The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I have your catalpa when you are ready Bruce .
I have used all the usable catalpa in the shop. I have a lot of other wood, just about everything commonly used, plus a dozen others. But in considering what else I might use for the next Blanca, I realize that catalpa works so well I don't actually have anything I'd prefer! There is more wood on hand in the shop than I have used in my first fifty years of full time building, so buying more confronts me with a very high absurdity level. It is unlikely thay I'll let that stop me.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 01-20-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:58 AM

While my experience runs to the more common cypress blanca, I can say I definitely have a preference for the blanca. I have two guitars built with Spanish cypress (the real Spanish cypress) and two with mystery cypress and I enjoy the punch, rapid response and clarity of all. At the same time I get some richness that keeps me sonically in the nylon string realm. I really feel that the blanca is the best of worlds. At least for the music I play.

I tell people coming from the electric side that negra nylon is the Les Paul and blanca nylon is the Telecaster. If you get my meaning.

Yes you should have one.

hunter
Old 01-20-2016, 07:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post

I tell people coming from the electric side that negra nylon is the Les Paul and blanca nylon is the Telecaster. If you get my meaning.

Yes you should have one.

hunter
What a difference a week makes! I think you have a good handle on reality, Hunter.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have used all the usable catalpa in the shop. I have a lot of other wood, just about everything commonly used, plus a dozen others. But in considering what else I might use for the next Blanca, I realize that catalpa works so well I don't actually have anything I'd prefer! There is more wood on hand in the shop than I have used in my first fifty years of full time building, so buying more confronts me with a very high absurdity level. It is unlikely thay I'll let that stop me.
An odd thing , the learning curve .
And some think that catalpa is only for cheap Chinese guitars .
I love when the bar moves .
Well done .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical