The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Jose III in his book 'Things About the Guitar.' Hey if it sounds good then play it.
Well, maybe a Ramirez is only good for 20 years. I have a 1975 Contreras that sounds much better now than it did for the first 10 years. It took quite a while to open up and sounds much more balanced and resonant now than it did back then.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
Well, maybe a Ramirez is only good for 20 years. I have a 1975 Contreras that sounds much better now than it did for the first 10 years. It took quite a while to open up and sounds much more balanced and resonant now than it did back then.
I have a 1960's Contreras and it does indeed sound good too. I'm not sure I agree with Ramirez or Segovia either. My guess is that they notice a change but then that is not necessary a bad thing either. Why would a violin get better with age but not a guitar? I don't know?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:18 PM

Myself, I figured that Segovia traded in the past season's guitar for a new one just because he had played the heck out of it & wanted a new one, complete with new guitar smell etc. - not that there was anything actually wrong with it.

As for Ramirez, I can think of reasons why somebody who makes his living selling guitars might want to encourage people to keep buying guitars.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Myself, I figured that Segovia traded in the past season's guitar for a new one just because he had played the heck out of it & wanted a new one, complete with new guitar smell etc. - not that there was anything actually wrong with it.

As for Ramirez, I can think of reasons why somebody who makes his living selling guitars might want to encourage people to keep buying guitars.
Ramirez and Segovia collaborated starting in the 1960s on designs for the Ramirez guitars that better stood up to the increased string tension over gut, and also provided the tension and projection necessary for larger concert venues. Segovia's Hauser's were mostly strung with gut. So it wouldn't surprise me if Segovia tried guitars more frequently during that period, but I suspect it is because he was working with Ramirez on tweaking the design, not because they were wearing out.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 PM

Cool Do classical guitars "wear out"?

All guitars wear out over time. James Taylor won't use a guitar over 50 years old because of subtle tonal changes. Many factors need to be considered. The build...classical guitars are almost always a much lighter build (thinner soundboard), than their steel-string cousins, and use different bracing. The amount of play, as well as the playing style can be a factor, but IMO, the most important factor would be how the guitar is cared for...if it's allowed to dry out, it won't last. If you keep it properly humidified, it will last longer, and enjoyed by your grandchildren!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical