The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2014, 06:36 AM

Default CA Cargo raw or Rainsong P12?

I've been umming and aaah ing for a long time about getting my first carbon guitar. I've narrowed it down to the ca cargo raw..or the Rainsong P12. I really like the the P12 from what I've heard on you tube but it's almost twice the price.
Has anyone actually played both, what were your thoughts...I live in the UK so I would be buying without trying as they aren't available here.
You insights are most welcome.

http://www.rajanspolia.co.uk/

http://www.myspace.com/rajanspolia
Old 05-10-2014, 08:16 AM

I just sold a Parlor and I have played quite a few Cargos. The Cargo may be a better value but the Parlor a better guitar? Is the Parlor twice the guitar? Tuff. They are very different. I never quite got the very short scale of the Cargo, but now I love the GS Mini so who knows. Very different necks, the Parlor is full and I could not bond with it on such a small guitar. Both will be top quality and sound very nice. There is no right or wrong here.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Sold my cargo to buy a p12. I think the parlor is 3 times the guitar.
The neck on the cargo is very short, if you play up the neck it can get challenging. Cargos a nice guitar but in my opinion is a compromise for convenience.
The parlor is small enough for travel but has so much more tone and feels like a real instrument. Acoustic guitar mags review called it " the little guitar that could " and while I take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt, it is a very good all round instrument.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 PM

While I'm a CA fan (I have a GX), if I had a choice between the two I'd go for the Rainsong parlor. I had the parlor on a MacNichol roadtrip for a week and really enjoyed it. Scale lengths and necks don't bother me too much one way or the other, but the Cargo did feel "small". The price difference is significant, though.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM

I have a Cargo, and I have played the Rainsong. Much prefer the Cargo, in playability, tone, and looks. And with that difference in price, to me, no brainer.....

BUT, the truth is, it's all opinion. You do really need to play them. They are not your average guitar, and neither in the end may float your boat. I know it's hard sometimes.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:26 AM

I've played the cargo. (newer peavey ones). I like the tone. Could handle the really short scale. I did not like the neck. It's very thin depth wise which I don't really like. They are also really heavy (I found). They look ok. Sounded pretty decent.

I've not played the rainsong parlor, but I have the shorty which is similar. (The necks the same). I really like the neck. It's easy to play. I'm sure it sounds really good. The dimensions are great. I think I would quite like this one, but it is more money.

I own a newer X7-OS. I love the neck on this thing even more so then my shorty. It's super comfy to play and fairly light. It's got incredible resonance. It's a very clear tone. When it was newer, it was less balanced. It's seemed to have really balanced out in the last few weeks. I'm loving the last strings I put on it. They are by far the best of all the different ones I've tried. (Elixir Light/Medium PB nano) It's very hard to describe tone, but I really like the tone I'm getting from this guitar. It's also has a lot of volume.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:54 AM

I have a cargo (with the glossy finish) and although I have not played the P12, I have tried other Rainsong guitars and they sound very nice. My cargo is very full on the low end but does lack a little bit at the higher frequencies. The cargo with the raw finish might sound better at the high end but I could not deal with the texture of the raw finish. The electronics are OK in the cargo but you do have that cluky sound typical of an undersaddle pickup. I agree with others comments about the scale of the neck but I don't play that far up the neck so it doesn't really bother me.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:14 PM

I have tested both. Both are worth the price.

All depends on your $$$$$$$$$$$$ limit!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Cool Cargo vs. R.S. Parlor

I have owned my Cargo with electronics for three years. I absolutely love it. I love the tone. It has plenty of bottom end and very easy to play. I like the neck. It is kind to my wrist whereas chunky necks are not. My bass player advised me never to sell my Cargo. That's how much he likes the sound of it. I disagree with the comment that it is "heavy." I don't like heavy guitars. The Cargo is very light in weight. I've never played the Rainsong Parlor. best wishes, michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 05-24-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I disagree with the comment that it is "heavy." I don't like heavy guitars. The Cargo is very light in weight.
I was giving my perceptions. I thought it was heavy for it's size. I was expecting it to be lighter when I picked it up. (comparing with my current CF guitars) It's not a heavy guitar especially when comparing with wooden guitars of similar size. I liked how it played, just felt the neck was a bit thin for my taste. Others may love it. It's a great small guitar option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber