The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM

What would be VERY USEFUL, would be for RainSong, or one of their dealers, to take a CO-WS1000, WS1000, and H-WS1000, put the same fresh strings on each, and have someone finger and flat pick them in front of a Zoom Q3HD one after the other (using the Zoom microphones and no amplification). This would not capture what the player hears, but would give you some idea, if you could play only one of the three, which option might be the right one to order. The trouble with most of the videos on You Tube is the lack of back to back comparison. I have found plenty of guitars that sound fantastic in one video and horrible in the next. It makes all those videos pretty useless for me. There is a RainSong Bluegrass review up on You Tube which has some brief comparison against the CO-DR I own, and that was what really spoke to me as to how different sounding (and truly impressive to me at least) the 12 fret neck can make in roughly similar CO topped instruments. Now if I could only live with 12 frets and no cut away...

For RainSong Dreadnoughts, I have enough first hand experience to recommend the H-DR for people looking for a more traditional dreadnought tone, and the CO-DR for people wanting a brighter, OM like tone with dreadnought volume.

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-24-2012, 10:30 AM

I have the LA1 LE with the N2 neck. (nice combo Ted)
I played the N2, put the guitar on lay away... Picked it up, and played it again. I noticed the thickness for sure, and felt I could / would adjust.

I just travelled with that guitar, and am growing attached to the thickness of the N2! Now that steep V neck on the Santa Cruz 00-1929 is digging into my thumb! That gets uncomfortable. Given the choice, I now prefer the N2 style. Odd how playing a guitar exclusively for several weeks can change your perspective.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM

Some of us have small, arthritic hands. The N1 is a necessity. Waiting for a shorty with that neck. Of course, may not ever be produced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber