The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Default Radical Classical

Here is a interesting new product. http://www.ragghiantiguitars.com/# I am a big fan of lattice bracing and soundports. I would prefer a true bevel over the arm rest. The muli scale length is genius. I think all it is missing is a cutaway. Looks like K&K is designing a pickup specifically for this guitar.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Very cool! I haven't played a multi-scale in nylon, but have a baritone steel string with it. I bet it's a great advantage for timbre on nylon. Lattice bracing is pretty cool, too. The classicals I've played with it are impressive.

That's quite an amazing price, as well. I'd like to hear it in something other than the NAMM setting, which is hard on any guitar sound.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Whoa...might have to take some Dramamine before playing that bad-dad. As for me....I am NOT a fan of lattice bracing. Under my fumbling hands, a lattice-braced guitar sounds way too much like a banjo. I understand the benefits of more volume, but the sound (to my ears) is usually mid-range heavy. Traditional fan bracing for this kid...

Back to your regular twisted neck programming....

Fred
Old 04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

I would love to hear a soundsample. The Youtube's on the site (at NAMM) don't give a good impression...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Disclaimer - I've known Fabio for a number of years and I'd consider him a friend. My first "serious" guitar was a beautiful maple/spruce Ragghianti that used to belong to my teacher back in Italy. You can read about that guitar here.

That said, I played an handmade "prototype" of these newly developed guitars a number of years back. Same combined scale, arched back with X brace, kerfingless laminate sides, soundport and fan bracing, IIRC. It was a stunning guitar, played great and sounded better. I was a bit skeptical of the multi-scale neck but I think I could have gotten used to it, and I still think it's a great idea for getting the best out of the guitar's opposite ranges.

I haven't played one of these "uber" modern guitars, but I definitely like the elevated fingerboard. I can't vouch for the actual build quality, but I can attest that Fabio is indeed a master craftsman and I suspect a lot of attention will go into finishing/set up/inspection/whatever other stage he's involved with.

I would definitely like to play one and will be sure to report back if I get a chance some day soon.

gf
Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjonnie1 View Post
I would love to hear a soundsample. The Youtube's on the site (at NAMM) don't give a good impression...
Here's a little better recording of one of his other instruments I stumbled across on a search...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md6UT1ppmfM

Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Mmmm, I don't know if I like it. It could be the mics and the recording also...too much high for my ears....
Thanks for posting of course

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical