The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
What kind of pick do you prefer for acoustic guitar?

What thickness do you prefer?

What shape point?

How long does a pick usually last you?

When do you know it's time to replace your pick?
I use a Blue Chip TAD 40 98% of the time I'm using a pick (which is actually not that often). It's 1 mm. And it will still be here when I die, so there is no replacement.

I do keep a V-Pick (euro) in the coin pocket of my jeans. It's a small 1.5mm pick with holes. It's pretty nice for a cheap pick, and you should always have a pick with you - you never know when a guitar will land in your lap.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-19-2021, 10:07 AM

Dunlop Maxgrip nylon standard - 0.73 mm for strumming, 1 or above for flatpicking. They last until I lose them (a fairly rare event).

D.H.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

* I prefer BlueChip TAD50, but since I wear them out so quickly, it gets expensive so I leave them to recording and special events...

** So I use both Primetone large triangle 1.4's so I can rotate them as they wear through my show. One will last about 4 sets or so. I also use Ultex large triangle in 1.14 and wear even quicker. One will last about 3 to 4 sets.

*** I go between the two above depending on the the type of picking and tone from song to song. The pick also acts as an additional form of EQ.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:57 PM

I still prefer Dunlop Tortex .60 standard picks. Sometimes I'll use .73
Old 04-19-2021, 03:02 PM

Blue Chip

.89mm -1.2mm, my Blue Chip TPR35 is .89mm

What shape point?

Three point rounded

Have had the same Blue Chip for 11-12 years now

Well so far that hasn't been an issue with the BC pick! Prior to using them, when a pick would get so worn that it was becoming misshaped, or the bevel became too pronounced from wear.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I use a Blue Chip TAD 40 98% of the time I'm using a pick (which is actually not that often). It's 1 mm. And it will still be here when I die, so there is no replacement.

I do keep a V-Pick (euro) in the coin pocket of my jeans. It's a small 1.5mm pick with holes. It's pretty nice for a cheap pick, and you should always have a pick with you - you never know when a guitar will land in your lap.
I did a search for BlueChip picks and found them on the internet. A TAD100 for $75.00! Is that for one pick?
Old 04-19-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:

What shape point?

1. Dunlop Jazz III, John Petrucci Flow and Small Stubby (both acoustic and electric)

2. 2mm or 1.14

3. I've had them for a long time and I have a whole pack. Maybe forever

4. I never had to replace a pick. Unless I lose them
Old 04-20-2021, 03:02 AM

Quote:
I did a search for BlueChip picks and found them on the internet. A TAD100 for $75.00! Is that for one pick?
The bulk of picks that Blue Chip offers are $35, with a few heavier ones priced higher ($50 or $75). Back when I bought mine it was $30, and they regularly pop up for sale here in the classifieds, or over at the Mandolin Cafe classifieds used for $20-25. I've had mine for nearly 12 years and it's still going strong, so I reckon that's pretty good return for my 30 bucks.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:06 AM

Current Favorites:

Wegen 1.2

BlueChip TD45 and TAD50

Ultex 1.14

Primetone 1.3

Celluloid Heavy (various brands)

Casein (various brands) 1.0 and 1.2

None of mine have really worn out. If anything a natural bevel wears into/onto the pick over time and it makes it even better.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

I *use* several types depending on whats nearby...but preference is caesin thick pics in large triangle. Odd, because I used to prefer medium celluloid 351-style, and NEVER thought Id like thick/heavy. I was warned (thanks, Memmer) Id never go back once I tried caesin. IVe probably spent more on my half-dozen set of favorite picks this past year, than I have in my first 40 years of playing, and am happy for it!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-20-2021, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I like the Blue Chip and the grippy Primetone in the picture... I
can't hold onto the Fender's at all...

I'm starting to REALLY like the grippy Primetone...

-Mike
Old 04-20-2021, 05:38 AM

Dunlop Classic Celluloid mediums and heavy, but mostly heavy. 351 shape. Lasts about 3 weeks before the tip is worn into an odd shape. I prefer to play one pick until it wears out. I find they should and better as the bevel increases.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
TAD 100? That's not a pick, it's a door stop.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-20-2021, 09:20 AM

I've been using Gravity Gold Razer 2.5mm picks for years but they aren't cheap. Even waiting for a 10% off coupon they are over $25 apiece plus shipping. But, they do last quite a while and if I don't mind a dull tip, they last even longer. I typically get four to six months out of one.

Someone mentioned Primetone a few weeks ago so I ordered a few of the standard smooth 2.5mm and I really like them. The tips are a bit more rounded than the Gravity Razer and I'm getting used to that but at 3 for $10 or 12 for $21 I think I've found my new pick. We'll see how long they last but typically a thick pick lasts months at least. They are a tiny bit larger than the Gravity picks but again just a matter of getting used to.

Both picks sound great.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

These are the picks that live in my guitar "bits" pouch, so they are the present day-to-day ones. My "favourite" changes almost daily!!!! And it can depend a lot on what I'm playing. There are a couple of notable "repeats" in the bag - the Dunlop Reg Gel Heavy, which i tend to play the rounded corners of, and the Dunlop Jazztone 207 (one well played and one new). There is also a Primetone Round 1.3 that has had the writing worn off it and a home made Vespel pick plus a Blue Chip. And a home made pick from a material that we shall never speak its name! I have hundreds more picks in a tin.

If I could keep just one? Well, it probably would be the Dunlop Jazztone 207. I went out to play outside with friends a few days ago and after running through a few picks settled on the Jazztone 207 for a 4 hour bluegrass bash.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion