The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-18-2021, 11:06 AM

Default Which Amazon Luthier Kits Are Best?

What do you guys think of those luthier kits from Amazon and which is best? There's so many to choose from.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:41 AM

You haven't told us much of anything and so we'd have to do all the work for you guessing, when you've done little.

What kind of guitar? Electric, acoustic? What kind of electric or acoustic?
What's your budget?
Etc., etc.

There are pages and pages of guitar kits on Amazon.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
There are pages and pages of guitar kits on Amazon.
It would never have occurred to me to look on Amazon for a guitar kit. Having looked now, there are quite a few. There are even various sets of guitar backs and sides, pre-shaped braces, etc. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The price of the back and sides - bundles of 10 - were at a premium price.

If one is new to guitar making and wanting to start with a kit, I'd suggest choosing a supplier who is able to offer technical support to assist, in necessary, with the assembly.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:04 PM

This is a good place to start, I would stay away from Amazon. You can get an almost infinite number of options in varying states of completion based on your skill level, which will only improve with time and experience.

https://www.lmii.com/1003-instrument-kits.

Last edited by Victory Pete; 04-18-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:22 PM

Thanks guys. I meant something like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Repairing-Mai...dp/B07SRXZ1QL/
Old 04-18-2021, 01:28 PM

Oh yes, tool kits. That looks like something to get you going for a good price. I go to StewMac for tools and have spent a lot of money over the years, Their customer service is fantastic, they will take care of you completely at any point in the future, they are remarkable.

https://www.stewmac.com/
Old 04-18-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Thanks guys. I meant something like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Repairing-Mai...dp/B07SRXZ1QL/
My advice is start by identifying what "repairs" and "maintenance" you want to do. Then buy individual tools for those specific tasks.

There is an enormous number of tools being sold, most of which aren't necessary, many of which are irrelevant.

The kit you linked to is mostly stuff I have no need for. The eraser shields, for example, are relevant to fret work, but the tools provided aren't really related to fret work.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I go to StewMac for tools and have spent a lot of money over the years,
Stewart McDonald has some very good tools. They are in the business of selling tools and want you to buy as many tools as possible, including many that are single-purpose. Their instructional videos are often an advertisement for the largest number of tools possible to accomplish a specific task, many of which aren't necessary.

There are many tools that they sell that are more useful than others: different people have different methods of work and different preferences for the tools they use. One person might find a particular tool useful while another person might think it unnecessary.

Some of the tools they sell can be purchased at local tool suppliers for a fraction of the price. Buyer discretion is advised.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:11 PM

It is my experience that cheap tools are ...... cheap. Set squares, aren’t necessarily square, Rulers May be a mm out, files may cut fine at first then be useless. Blades go blunt quickly.

It’s tricky getting the balance right but I suspect this kit might not be worth what you are being asked to pay.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:17 PM

Thanks guys. I guess I'll wait out until I actually need something and get it from StewMac.

I used up all my Players Circle points from Daddario on one of those rulers that measure string height and stuff. I need that for saddle sanding and truss rod adjustment. It's the only thing I need at the moment anyway.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. I guess I'll wait out until I actually need something and get it from StewMac.

I used up all my Players Circle points from Daddario on one of those rulers that measure string height and stuff. I need that for saddle sanding and truss rod adjustment. It's the only thing I need at the moment anyway.
I started with a small order from StewMac 20 years ago, now I am hooked. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
What do you guys think of those luthier kits from Amazon and which is best? There's so many to choose from.
Kit assembly guitars are great when your starting out and wanting to learn how to build a guitar for yourself, I question anyone using a kit to build a guitar to sell in a commercial enviroment, your not building your assembling someone elses product and passing it off as your own, shame shame.

Haha, yeh I saw you meant tool kits, hardware store tools, screwdrivers, pliers, files, etc work perfect with just small tweaks and adjustments to their profiles. many many years we had no specialty guitar tool companies, now they appear to be everywhere with custom tools.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 04-18-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:46 PM

If you are just getting started and don't really know if you'll like it.... go cheap, then as you continue with your skill level, go more expensive... StuMac is way over priced and you can get luthier tools just as quality for less. Just do a little research.

Once you know that you really want to do this, then go for it.

StewMac does seem to have good customer service and tech support, so there's that.

Ron
Old 04-18-2021, 06:51 PM

I can't tell you how many tools I've bought cheap...then later bought the more expensive Stewmac version. They are not always better, but more often than not, they are. I suggest buying setup tools first, then adding electronics tools (if you work on electrics), then fretwork tools...then repair tools.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
I can't tell you how many tools I've bought cheap...then later bought the more expensive Stewmac version.
Good advice

Side note, I started doing woodwork around 26yrs ago, couldnt afford much. I went to the local hardware store and bought their 15 dollar power tools, this was cheap cheap back in the day compared to say a makita at 200 dollars.

I used the power tools over the years until they died and then bought a better quality one, 26 years later i still have about four of those cheap power tools, goes to show I never really needed them or that the amount of work I did could not justify an expensive version.

Buy cheap replace if they break or get worn out.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair