The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Like pretty much everybody has said...if you're anticipating playing the guitar outside your living room...the addition of a strap button on the treble side of the heel is perfectly acceptable, and I don't see that it would alter anyones opinion of it in a resale situation if it were mounted well and there was no damage.

I keep mine pristine simply because I don't see myself gigging at all at my skill level...and most, if not all my playing will be done sitting down.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Put a button on it if you plan to play it. As long as you don't butcher the job it's not going to diminish the value of the guitar......
It's a very easy job to butcher, I've seen some installed by professionals that aren't great as well. Collings have a bolt on neck so you'll want to miss the bolts. I'm not crazy about the location Collings chose either, but who am I to question the late Bill Collings?

I have begun installing strap buttons on guitars I'm planning to sell (eventually all of them) just so the next owner won't have to deal with it and have a bad experience.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:18 AM

When drilling for the strap button, make sure to place a couple of pieces of blue tape over the spot to be drilled to protect the finish. Step up in size to what you need for a hole size, ie, start w/smallest drill bit and work up to the size you are ultimately shooting for.

I like to use strap buttons that match the trim of the guitar, so my HD-28 has bone pins and a bone strap button, as well as tail pin, likewise Ebony for my D-18. I've use both Waverly/StewMac and Bob Colosi to buy said fancy buttons.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:44 AM

I've had one put in every nice acoustic I've owned, including 2 Bourgeois dreads and a Martin D41! I've just taken them to a luthier and had them install them. Put pickups in all of them too! For every person who says they wouldn't buy one that had one installed, there's one who will buy because they no longer have to pay extra to have it done! They're just guitars and unless it's an extremely rare model, it's not going to affect the resale value enough to matter. Have it installed and enjoy playing it sitting or standing!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-16-2021, 11:58 AM

I play mostly standing, even at home. I have added strap buttons to some guitars and on selling have encountered a few potential buyers who wished that it was not there (but still bought it anyway). Are you adding it for your own enjoyment or a potential sale down the road?

The last three guitars that I purchased didn't even have end pins. The luthier said that most people play sitting rather than standing. I added an end pin to one, still have not done the others. For those, I obviously don't even have the option of tying the strap to the head stock.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

A couple of things to consider when drilling a strap button hole.

1. Make sure you don't drill deeper than you need to. Place the drill bit beside the screw and wrap a bit of tape around the bit where you need to stop.

2. Make sure the hole size is large enough so that the screw is not forced and could possibly spit the heel. It should be slightly less than the diameter of the screw shaft minus the threads.

Sorry if I'm repeating what others have already posted but taking these precautions could help someone someday.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I only use a strap on my electric (Tele) and always sit while playing acoustic. My 000-18 has never had the endpin installed but there's a hole for it. My Brook Torridge has no endpin hole and my new custom order Brook Lyn was specified to not include an endpin. I don't use pickups either - only a decent microphone. I play solo on my acoustics and the music is quiet and not intended for bar room crowds so I can sit still and the mic is much better at conveying the true sound of the instrument.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:01 PM

I'm having a luthier install a strap button in the neck heel of my HD-28, which by the way, when performed at an authorized service center which his shop is, does not appear to void the warranty. That's what he told me anyhow, and I hope I'm right in trusting him!

Anyway I prefer the strap button on the neck heel because to have something looped around the headstock interferes with the capo I have stored there so it was only logical to me. This guitar is a lifetime commitment for me since it won't be for sale until after I'm dead, so I'm not the least bit concerned about resale value.

Last edited by InsertNameHere; 04-16-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:44 PM

Viewpoints will vary.

"Drilling a hole in my guitar" = "glass half empty"

"Adding a strap button to my guitar" = "glass half full"
Old 04-16-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyongargon View Post
Among hardcore collectors a strap button might be a negative because the guitar is no longer 100% original. .
I have a Santa Cruz Custom OMG on order. One of the options is a strap button so this guitar will still be 100% original with its button.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 04-16-2021, 01:56 PM

Always having considered myself a folk guitarist, I used the shoestring-attached-to-the-headstock method during my purist days. I think we all did, back then.

Thank goodness most of us got over that. It was an interesting discovery that one could add a strap button without necessarily gravitating toward rock and roll.

Shortly after I switched to strap buttons, so did Paul Stuckey. Just saying.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
It's a very easy job to butcher, I've seen some installed by professionals that aren't great as well. Collings have a bolt on neck so you'll want to miss the bolts. I'm not crazy about the location Collings chose either, but who am I to question the late Bill Collings?...
The “Collings location” is really the only place I do like the strap button. One of my best friends only wants it on the end cap on the neck heel. I really, really don’t like it there.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Never on a high-end guitar.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 04-16-2021, 02:51 PM

I might not add a button to a super-rare, super-valuable instrument, but with a modern professional quality guitar you're not going to diminish the value unless the installation is completely botched.

So I'd say either go ahead and install strap buttons or, if you're nervous about it, have a guitar tech do the work.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-16-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I can remember someone posting here ranting about ''how can someone say their guitar is mint when they installed a strap button''. I think that's just being prissy.

I have CS OM-18 Special from Mandolin Bros. There were only 10 made plus another that someone else ordered from Martin custom shop. It's very collectible but not that valuable. The first thing I did was install a strap button. I bought the guitar to play and I use a strap all the time. If I go to sell it and someone doesn't like the strap button, I'll sell it to the next customer who is glad to have it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion