The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-13-2021, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Repairing Finish Cracks

There is a beautiful Santa Cruz guitar for sale locally, but it’s got quite a bunch of hairline finish cracks in the top. My question: can finish cracks be repaired?
Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 PM

If you want to refinish the guitar, they can be repaired. But most folks would argue against such a move. A refinishing job will make it look oretty, but might change the tone and might reduce resale value. Best to just get a good price when you buy, and accept the finish cracks as part of the overall deal.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:13 PM

I agree with Buddy. Trying to make a damaged finish look new is going to be an expensive proposition however it turns out, and the chances are that the repaired finish is going to revert to the cracks it developed in the first place.

If you can get the guitar with the finish cracks at a good price, count your blessings, and don’t try to correct it any further. Unless you really enjoy spending the extra money for the repairs.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-14-2021, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

My understanding, assuming it is a nitro finish is it cannot be repaired. Read all about some of the home remedies and it might work on a single small crack but from what you described....I wouldn't consider it. I do not believe finish cracks affect the sound and some actually like the look. As Wade mentioned, you can use the issue as a bargaining tool. I would not think twice about finish cracks if I liked the guitar and the price was good.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

I have to agree with what's been said above. If it's not a structural issue and just superficial I'd work on a reduced price and grab that SCGC. Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-14-2021, 07:00 AM

Appreciate the mojo of your cracked finish
Old 04-14-2021, 07:28 AM

If you don't like a guitar with a bunch of finish cracks I'd keep looking. You could get the top refinished, but not with a guarantee that it would sound exactly the same, and when you add the price of the refinishing it's probably no longer a good deal.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-14-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I've been a vintage guitar afficionado for many years and the finish checking is quite beautiful to my eyes. If the cracks are ugly and large, then that might be different but even very pervasive finish checking isn't a problem for me. As was mentioned, some people even prefer their new guitars to come with finish checking, for example, the guitars made by the Pre-War Guitars Co. that are currently hot-hot-hot.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

It's a 25 yr. old guitar, and not cost effective to refinish a high end guitar top. As some have stated, either love the finish checks and pay a reduced price or wait till you find the same model without the cracks. I chased a D12 model for a long time before going another direction so my opinion is just that---somewhat biased. In my experience I thought most SCGC have or would develop finish checking as that was my experience trying to buy one, and owning one. Now, I conclude not so much, just my experience looking/shopping---it was a very small sample.

Personally, it would depend greatly on a number of factors before purchasing:
* how does it sound / play?
* the history of the guitar ---how many owners has it passed through in the last 3-4 yrs? Why?
* the functional condition---new correct tuners, newer frets, neck smooth, bracing good?
* price--how bad do I want a particular model right now?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:49 AM

If it is Nitro then it can be touched up, I have been doing that to many guitars for 20 years.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:54 AM

This is my 1998 Martin HD-28 getting touched up, it had some checking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair