The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default That 24" scale on Emerald X7

For those of you who play this guitar, do you find that switching to another guitar with a longer scale becomes more difficult and visa versa. It would seem (especially for playing live and singing) you need to know where you're fingers are going without looking at them a lot, and having different scale lengths could hinder this.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-07-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Not me, but all of my guitars are short scales. The others aren't that short, but they're not long scales. I've had my X-7 since 2017, so I guess I've had plenty of time to adjust. I still love it.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

My X7 is my shortest scale; all my other guitars are 24.6", 24.875", and 25.5". No problem at all moving between guitars (and I do so frequently).

The X7 is my most comfortable acoustic guitar, because of that compact size (body). I think the 1 3/4" nut width keeps it from feeling tight.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:51 PM

I had a 24" guitar (Martin D Jr.) but it was a bit too short for me. I do agree Kerbie and Captain Jim though, that the neck profile and nut spacing made a huge difference and that is probably why I kept the Martin as long as I did. I find medium or medium light strings work better - and certainly the carbon fiber can handle it!
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Playing a 24” scale is basically like playing a 25.4” scale with a capo in the first fret. When you play with a capo, do your fingers know where to go? Mine seem to figure it out pretty much immediately... When I had an X7, I never had any problem going back and forth between that and the other acoustic I had with a 25.4” scale...

-Ray
Old 04-07-2021, 08:24 PM

Hi Karen,
I have guitars whose scales range from 25.5" down to 20" and I have no trouble going from one to another. Your muscles just remember where the frets are.
Barb
Old 04-07-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all. The reason I ask, is that when I go from a digital keyboard where the keys are shorter and narrower and then back to an acoustic piano with standard size keys, it takes awhile for my fingers to adjust. And I sing when playing guitar, and when performing, I don't want to be looking at my fingers. This happens when I have to "jump" up or down the neck at a considerable distance. So if I'm playing a couple of different guitars with different scale lengths, the "jump" would be different.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-08-2021, 04:26 AM
Charter Member

While I can play a 25 1/2” scale guitar just fine, I prefer a shorter scale right around 24.875 ", as it’s less of a stretch for my fingers, and the reduced tension is nice, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-08-2021, 07:32 AM

health problems have brought me closer to the world of short scale guitars since some years. now the guitar I use the most is a Taylor GS Mini which has a scale of even 23.5 ". Previously I used an old Fender Gemini II from the 80s with a 25.5" scale. I had no problems in automatically recognizing the correct frets where to put my fingers, maybe at the beginning a few more looks but more for insecurity than for real necessity. Both guitars have a shorter nut width than the standard 1 and 3/4", so I haven't found the exact differences previously described by other users but I suppose that it is more difficult to get used to a different nut width, or a different radius, than a shorter scale. When I go back using the Fender now I find it more uncomfortable for several reasons: the higher tension of the strings, having to spread the arms more as the most used frets are further away from my body, hugging a bigger guitar leads to an unnatural shoulder position. I personally find only advantages from using a short scale guitar.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Domen and seannx for sharing the pluses about short scale necks and smaller bodies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber