The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-16-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Thanks Jon! I'm with you on being minimalist. The lighter and smaller the better, providing Im getting what in my head, Im hearing. If that makes sense. Anyway this seems like a cool piece of gear. Im assuming no problem with battery draining?
I charged it when I got it over the weekend and have put at least 4 hours on it with the power LED still green (>50% charge remaining). It seems to be in line or better than the spec'd 6 hours battery life at low volume.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-16-2021, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I charged it when I got it over the weekend and have put at least 4 hours on it with the power LED still green (>50% charge remaining). It seems to be in line or better than the spec'd 6 hours battery life at low volume.
Wow, that's great. Thank you.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I wish our devices were a little more up-to-date with BT. With new iPhones not having a traditional headphone jack, Ive gotten used to BT wireless headphones. Sure, they come with a cord, but would be nice to just pair it.

I don’t bother with Bluetooth because I’m quite sure there will be latency issues.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:23 AM

I've had it about 2 weeks now. Great practice amp, they did a pretty good job coming up with a useable selection of amps and effects combinations considering the limitations of a small unit such as this.

Only gripe is I wish it had separate gain and volume so that you could get a little more control. I was used to having it on my vox amplug... would have been nice to have seen it on the Mustang Micro.

Otherwise... all blue skies.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I just ordered one of these. My birthday is coming up and I travel a bit. I have a Strat mini and it would be nice to use this in a motel.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:43 PM

I've had mine about a week now and it's great - I couldn't get it to work in my Traveler Ultra Light Acoustic though - not sure what that's about, I get sound for about 1 second when I turn the amp on (if I strum the guitar) and then it cuts out. I tried a couple of adapters and such with no luck.

It works on all my other guitars though and sounds great through a set of studio monitors. The bluetooth connectivity is great too.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:45 PM

Default Two Fender Mustang Micro Defects - not deal breakers

Without giving it any thought, I did not bother to charge the Mustang Micro until it stopped working today. It went from flashing green (>50%) to stopped working in about 10 minutes (I checked the power light when I turned it on...I think...at least I checked it yesterday). Looking back on the last 10 days I am sure I used it at least 6 hours. The spec'd battery life seems to be there but the various low charge warnings don't work.

I've been experimenting with low end headphones (Sony Earbuds, MonoPrice on ear, old Sennheiser PX100II on ear, and vertical support in ear Sonxtronic XDR-8000 Amazon special). The Sonxtronic are the most comfortable and provide zero noise isolation which is good around the house. But are very bright with almost no low end. I noticed a hiss when I hit a note on the lower strings that goes a way a second or so into the note's decay. It's there for higher notes but masked by the sound of the string. I went back to the other headphones and sure enough if I listen very carefully I can just barely detect it. [edit: I'm now thinking this is a defect of cheap headphones...maybe the driver bottoming out...edit II: It is still there out of an amp]

Both these items might get improved by a firmware update down the line.

I wonder if there is a way to tell Fender...

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-25-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:35 PM

I just charged mine and I'll be checking it out tonight. It looks like a good one. I have a few headphone amps - I love this type of gizmo, and I've got ones that only do one sound and some that have dozens. They all have their good points. Buying these is a bad habit, but at least it's an inexpensive bad habit.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:56 PM

I've had mine for about a week, and it works great. I can play a song on my phone and, using the bluetooth on the Mustang, play along with it quite nicely. So far I am liking the cleans a lot better than the crunches. As someone earlier noted - it's not a tweaker's delight, but if you want to be able to get up and going with a minimum of effort, it's a really good practice and quite time tool.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

mine is still on backorder form Sweetwater

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-29-2021, 01:02 PM

Default Vox AmPlug2 Clean

BTW, out of curiosity and wanting another headphone amp to leave in my gig bag I bought the $50 Vox AmPlug2 Clean. You need to read the directions to set the gain of the amp model and the amount of reverb (a not completely intuitive two button UI). Once set it sounds pretty good too plus you have pre and post gain controls. In its highest gain "overdrive" setting you can go between a nice overdrive and a good clean using the guitar's volume control.

The build quality is not in the same league as the Fender and the battery compartment door is far from the best. But it sounds good and can be left to sit in a gig bag with the batteries not inserted as a backup. I am planning to gig using the Mustang Micro directly to our QSC CP8. It is really handy having all the controls right at the guitar. There are some unique advantages to these headphone amps if you are not a pedal guy.

I like the Fender Micro better but this is a nice little toy too.

Musician's Friend has both in stock as of a minute ago.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-30-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I am getting one of these fir my birthday on Thursday. Looking forward to trying it out. I assume it works with any bluetooth headphones?
Old 03-29-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I am getting one of these fir my birthday on Thursday. Looking forward to trying it out. I assume it works with any bluetooth headphones?
Wrong - the headphone out is a mini (1/8") standard. The bluetooth is for input (i.e. phone, etc.) so you can play tunes through it and play along.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Wrong - the headphone out is a mini (1/8") standard. The bluetooth is for input (i.e. phone, etc.) so you can play tunes through it and play along.
Okay, good to know. So, you need corded headphones then. I was thinking cordless.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGAS79 View Post
...BTW if you are looking for an amp option for quieter (at times) home use, I love my Roland Blues Cube Hot. The power attenuation does a really good job preserving tone at 0.5 watt all the way to 30 (it can get crazy loud). A solid option for pseudo-tube sounds at low volume.
Another option (my go-to) is a Bugera V5 Infinium - powers down to 0.1W, has a headphone out for 3AM practice (so you don't P.O. your S.O./neighbors/cat), and it's real tube tone for ~$200...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars