The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-08-2021, 08:07 PM

Default weird noise coming from 1st string

I captured the audio and its in the drive link. There is a weird hiss/rattle when i pluck the string open, or on any fret. I can hear it when its unplugged. Any idea what it can be and how i can fix it? Guitar is Yamaha pacifica 612 iv. strings are new. I just noticed the noise today. These strings have about 2-3 hours on them. Sounds like its coming from the bridge area.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x40...ew?usp=sharing
Old 03-08-2021, 08:13 PM

Is the string hitting a pickup? I've seen pickup screws work their way out and the strings bottom out on them...or maybe one of the saddle screws is loose.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:39 PM

Maybe a little fret buzz? Weather is changing, did a fret move?
Old 03-08-2021, 09:03 PM

no fret buzz. sound is coming from an open string and no frets are touching. and same sound when any fret is touching. same exact sound at any fret. No change in pitch. Also pickup screws and everything looks good, nothing sticking out. weather is exactly the same, 68 degrees humidified room
Old 03-09-2021, 01:55 AM

Loose winding on the retaining ball at the end of the string?
Old 03-09-2021, 06:40 AM

Interesting coincidence. I am experiencing the same thing on my ES-335 and can safely rule out the causes suggested as well.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 AM

That doesn't sound out of the realm of normal for an electric to me. I'm guessing you don't hear any of it when played electrically. Those kind of noises are common on an electric IME unless you use heavy strings and high action. You could check to make sure that both of the screws that set bridge height for that string are firmly seated on the bridge.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:50 AM

Changed the strings yesterday. Same sound coming from the 1st string. Every thing is tight, ect. I can't hear this when it is plugged in.

Its super weird that I just started hearing it now, not sure if it was always there. Its pretty annoying actually because i practice unplugged a lot.

Might have to get a professional to take a look or upgrade to one of the newer strats
Old 03-10-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbp View Post
Changed the strings yesterday. Same sound coming from the 1st string. Every thing is tight, ect. I can't hear this when it is plugged in.

Its super weird that I just started hearing it now, not sure if it was always there. Its pretty annoying actually because i practice unplugged a lot.

Might have to get a professional to take a look or upgrade to one of the newer strats
If you get rid of it, let me know. I'm a huge fan on Yamaha and the 6 series has been on my list of guitars to buy. I'd rather had a hard tail though.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:34 PM

I wonder if it's where the string contacts the bridge saddle? Or perhaps the saddle is loose?

Do you also hear it when it's plugged in?

I googled Yamaha pacifica 612. Is this your bridge?
Old 04-08-2021, 04:09 PM

Neglected to update. My apologies.

In my case, was the edge of the adj bridge hitting the string on its way to the stop tailpiece. Slightly raising the treble side of the tailpiece got rid of it.

Found answer on a My Les Paul forum, but glad that the expertise on this forum came thru as well. I’d checked that string end-to-end, but apparently needed to go a bit further.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Could it be a loose wire contacting the underside of a cover plate? If so, some hollo-fill would stop it.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars