The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I noticed that Yamaha FS50BT strings (excellent, by the way), have the same coloured ball ends as D'Addario EXP-also coated.
Were they the same sequence? Silver, purple, green, black, red, brass?

There are other manufacturers that use color coding for the ball ends besides D'Addario, but it seems like each of them has their own system. Rotosounds are colored red, white, and blue. Dogals are black, white, and silver. Everly/Cleartone use the D'Addario colors but in a different sequence, making me wonder if they get the ball ends from D'Addario. Mapes are color coded in a spectrum corresponding to the order of the strings, which is super logical and also kind of cool.

I looked up those Yamaha strings, and in the photos, the package says they're made in Indonesia; if that's so, they wouldn't be relabeled D'Addarios. But every photo I've found of them out of the package shows uncolored ball ends. Also, the USA Yamaha site says they're discontinued. So maybe Yamaha bought from D'Addario for a while before getting out of the string business.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:55 AM

Neat thread. For a while I've been trying different kinds of strings and am convinced that many strings are the same but in different packaging. But really, who knows?

I keep my guitar tuned down a full step and always opt for mediums for that reason. Today I'm putting on a set of DR Bluegrass Rares and have some SUS heavies on order. Ernie Ball Earthwoods are a favorite, as are DR Sunbeams. Lots of fun trying out new strings, and generally a pretty cheap endeavor.

I've been playing since the early 90s and have to admit I miss the old days when string makers would include decals in the packaging, and back when going into any guitar shop meant "two for one" sales most of the time. There was a local shop where I live that always sold strings three for one. I suppose the world has gotten so competitive that things like this are no longer possible.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
This thread got me thinking: How many makers of strings are there actually out there? What if many of what we think are different strings are actually the same ones but just in different packaging? It seems like this is entirely possible to me, since surely string-making is a niche industry?

I believe that there are fewer companies that make the core wires and Mapes is one of them. But, there are companies taking that core wire and using wrap wire of different alloys and thicknesses to create their own tone and feel. Then you add the micro coatings and treatments and whether they are flat wounds or round wounds, hex core or round core and you have a considerable number of string/tone “recipes”.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-06-2021, 03:13 PM

I am super late to this thread, but I thoroughly enjoyed it! I really appreciate your commitment to press in as far as you did! It was informative, and I laughed out loud several times at some of your observations and comments. I'm sorry to hear about your wrist...hoping surgery straightens that out and you heal quickly!

So...thanks again for sharing this journey! Best wishes for your recovery!
Old 04-17-2021, 10:29 AM

An addendum: Anyone who's curious how the Sfarzo Alloy 5109 strings would have fared should go read my separate review here.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:23 PM

Having just read through this entire thread stem to stern, I say THANK YOU for the effort here. I'm about to buy strings and this has significantly helped me narrow down what I want to start with [although I'm not quite lucky enough to be stringing them on a Larrivée or a 700 series Taylor just yet!]

Hope the tendon issue gets resolved for you--cheers!
Old 04-18-2021, 06:25 AM

I'd like to thank you again for your grand string experiment. The thread has since helped to inspire me to be a little more daring and test out more than I would have. Quite a few left to try, but have some early favorites that have already emerged that were not even on my radar a year ago.
2020 Gibson SJ-200 Pre-War Collection Rosewood
2018 Martin D-41
2018 Gibson Hummingbird Standard
2021 Gibson Les Paul (Wildwood Spec)
2021 Gibson ES-335 Figured Maple Cherry
2021 Fender CS Ltd 1951 Broadcaster 70th
2020 PRS Vela HB
Old 04-20-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxBiker View Post
I'd like to thank you again for your grand string experiment. The thread has since helped to inspire me to be a little more daring and test out more than I would have. Quite a few left to try, but have some early favorites that have already emerged that were not even on my radar a year ago.
I'm interested to hear the details!
Old 04-21-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I'm interested to hear the details!
The biggest thing, I think, is that I've gravitated towards un-coated strings and away from the D'Addario NB I had been using. Less overtones to deal with in my home project studio, sure, but some of the reason was availability several months into the Pandemic.

I selected quite a few strings that you were testing in this thread and had them waiting in the wings. At least twice, folks appearing on this thread suggested to the masses on other forums strings for certain guitars. One was the DR Veritas for a Martin RW 'dreads (like HD28 or HD35) I tried those on my D-41 and John Pearse 80/20's for my Maple SJ-200. Those combos have been my favorites since.

Veritas has become a bit of a temporary default. I've tried the gold colored Xenon B&E strings and like them for my RW SJ-200 alot. They do enhance the overall balance. The brightness and what seems to be a good bit of power in the mid-range does well. They might be a bit much on my Hummingbird and my new Gibson Love Dove at times, but still musical.

I've also tried the Martin Marquis PB (the newer version), DR Sunbeam, DR Rare, DR Dragons, John Pearse PBs, Cleartone EQs, and GHS Vintage Bronze.

Sitting in the basket waiting their turn are Santa Cruz Parabolics (low and med), Rotosound Jumbo King, Pyramid PB, Martin "Tommy's Choice" PB, Martin 80/20 Marquis, D'Addario XT coated, Cleartone EQs(one more time) and Treated in the black box, Dogal 80/20, La Bella PB's and Golden Alloy. I may or may not expand beyond that. I'll re-read the thread and decide then. I know there were some that I could not get last year.

I mistakenly bought some John Pearse, DR Vertitas and GHS Vintage Bluegrass strings. Medium wounds, light bottoms. My Maple SJ-200 and the Hummingbird loved them.I've added another set of each and a couple sets of different hybrid sizes.

Lastly, I think the DR Sunbeams do a fairly decent job of taming some brightness. Maybe it adds a subtle touch. I view the Veritas as bold, so I think it's a nice contrast. I've use each on my D-41 and Hummingbird and like them both.
2018 Martin D-41
2020 PRS Vela HB
Old 04-22-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxBiker View Post
One was the DR Veritas for a Martin RW 'dreads (like HD28 or HD35) I tried those on my D-41 and John Pearse 80/20's for my Maple SJ-200. Those combos have been my favorites since.
Veritas has become a bit of a temporary default.
Lastly, I think the DR Sunbeams do a fairly decent job of taming some brightness. Maybe it adds a subtle touch. I view the Veritas as bold, so I think it's a nice contrast.
I find Sunbeams to be sweeter and less loud than Veritas, but with greater sustain and less stiffness. I actually emailed DR about Sunbeam and Veritas, expressing my preference for Sunbeam, and they emailed back saying I wasn't the only one, that a lot of players think Sunbeam should be the flagship product.

With the Veritas, do you use the gold or the steel unwound strings? Do you find an audible difference?

I have to say that including eight strings in the set so that you can choose whether to use the gold or the steel seems like a good idea on the surface, but winding up with two new extra strings that I don't have a use for makes my OCD kick in. I feel like it's wasteful, and it actually makes me less likely to buy Veritas.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I find Sunbeams to be sweeter and less loud than Veritas, but with greater sustain and less stiffness. I actually emailed DR about Sunbeam and Veritas, expressing my preference for Sunbeam, and they emailed back saying I wasn't the only one, that a lot of players think Sunbeam should be the flagship product.

With the Veritas, do you use the gold or the steel unwound strings? Do you find an audible difference?

I have to say that including eight strings in the set so that you can choose whether to use the gold or the steel seems like a good idea on the surface, but winding up with two new extra strings that I don't have a use for makes my OCD kick in. I feel like it's wasteful, and it actually makes me less likely to buy Veritas.
Having a couple of extra .016 and .012 guage strings saved to the side is never a bad thing for me for when I work on the guitars. I've got more than plenty now, though.

I use the gold colored on my SJ-200 with the Rosewood B&S. Nice balanced tone. I much prefer the silver for the Martin D-41.

I've tried the Sunbeams on all four of them. I like them best on my Hummingbird. I think I remember using them on the D-41 in my little home studio and they sounded nice. I'm sure I agree with your assessment of sweeter with less stiffness.

I've actually been displeased with the Veritas a couple times when I've had the windows cracked open at sun-down and a cool breeze hit. One time I had both my Hummingbird and D-41 out at the same time with Veritas on both. It's as if my guitars' tops stopped moving. It had dropped something like 2 degrees inside in a couple of hours' time. I had the Hummingbird sporting the Marquis and my SJ-200 (Maple) donning my favored JP 80/20's in the exact same position and situation last night and both were perfectly fine. Strange. Even with that stiffness sounding thing on the D-41 and hummingbird before, the volume was strong. People gig and play on their decks all the time without issues, especially on a couple degrees.

The Marquis PBs are broken in now on my Hummingbird. I've used them at least 3 other times and all three times were favorable. I think it's going to hard to knock the Marquis off their perch for the Hummingbird.
2018 Martin D-41
2020 PRS Vela HB
Old 04-22-2021, 02:02 PM

Default Tiny String Experiment

Quote:
So far, my tiny string experiment has included Martin SP & Martin FX on the 12-string, and Martin Marquis, DR Sunbeam, & Martin FX "Tommy's Choice" on the 6-string.

My favorite by far on the 6 are the DR sunbeams.
I then changed to the Martin Flexible Core (FX), which sound fine on the 12 but started out unpleasantly zingy before settling in on the 6. After this change, Mrs. Twin Six, who is not musical in the least, opined that she far preferred the sound of the Sunbeams. The wife's seal of approval clinches it for the Sunbeams.

On deck are DR Rare for both, GHS Vintage Bronze for both with Bluegrass set for the 6, Ernie Ball Earthwood for the 6.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Six View Post
So far, my tiny string experiment has included Martin SP & Martin FX on the 12-string, and Martin Marquis, DR Sunbeam, & Martin FX "Tommy's Choice" on the 6-string.

My favorite by far on the 6 are the DR sunbeams.

I then changed to the Martin Flexible Core (FX), which sound fine on the 12 but started out unpleasantly zingy before settling in on the 6. After this change, Mrs. Twin Six, who is not musical in the least, opined that she far preferred the sound of the Sunbeams. The wife's seal of approval clinches it for the Sunbeams.

On deck are DR Rare for both, GHS Vintage Bronze for both with Bluegrass set for the 6, Ernie Ball Earthwood for the 6.
I use EB Earthtones so I'll be curious to how they stand up to the sunbeams
Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I use EB Earthtones so I'll be curious to how they stand up to the sunbeams
The EB Earthwoods were a birthday gift, but would have made the string experiment list anyhow. They're 11-52s, so lighter than the 12-54s I'm used to. I'll put the EBs on next, though I don't have enough guitars to do a side-by-side comparison with Sunbeams.

Incidentally, I have yet to find strings I dislike or would not buy again.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Six View Post
Incidentally, I have yet to find strings I dislike or would not buy again.
Try Everlys, then.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion