The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 06:11 AM

Default Gibson J-45 50s Vs Standard

Has anyone compared the newish 50s Original J-45 to the Standard? That 50s looks so good (all except for maybe the pickguard, but I can overlook that.) I'm just curious if they sound pretty much the same.

I had a J-45 a couple years ago and foolishly sold it. I'm on the hunt again because I sold a Telecaster and want something to pair back with my Taylor 717. It was between the J-45 and a D-18, but I think the D-18 would be more similar to the Taylor than the J-45 would. Plus, J-45s sound so good to me.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Hat do you mean by “ newish 50s Original J-45”? Do you have a link you could share?
Old 04-19-2021, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Try this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ntage-sunburst
Old 04-19-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Has anyone compared the newish 50s Original J-45 to the Standard? That 50s looks so good (all except for maybe the pickguard, but I can overlook that.) I'm just curious if they sound pretty much the same.

I had a J-45 a couple years ago and foolishly sold it. I'm on the hunt again because I sold a Telecaster and want something to pair back with my Taylor 717. It was between the J-45 and a D-18, but I think the D-18 would be more similar to the Taylor than the J-45 would. Plus, J-45s sound so good to me.
They should sound about the same; they both have the same woods and the bracing on both is described as "Traditional hand scalloped X-bracing", so likely to be the same or similar.

There are some small differences like the tuners...

But the biggest difference you'll probably notice is the different neck carve. Would be good to try both if possible to see which you prefer.

The 50's original has a "round" profile while the standard has "slim taper". My hummingbird is a historic and has a "round" profile. It's meaty, but certainly not a baseball bat. I find it very comfy, and I've definately played Les Paul's with 50's necks I could barely get my hand around. That said, the hummingbird was a 60's guitar. Is 60's "round" and 50's "round" the same thing in new-historic gibsons? I honesly have no idea.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
They should sound about the same; they both have the same woods and the bracing on both is described as "Traditional hand scalloped X-bracing", so likely to be the same or similar.

There are some small differences like the tuners...

But the biggest difference you'll probably notice is the different neck carve. Would be good to try both if possible to see which you prefer.

The 50's original has a "round" profile while the standard has "slim taper". My hummingbird is a historic and has a "round" profile. It's meaty, but certainly not a baseball bat. I find it very comfy, and I've definately played Les Paul's with 50's necks I could barely get my hand around. That said, the hummingbird was a 60's guitar. Is 60's "round" and 50's "round" the same thing in new-historic gibsons? I honesly have no idea.
I'd definitely prefer the chunkier round neck. I recently played a good sounding D-18 in a shop, but I was reminded that I really can't stand the modern Martin necks. Way too thin and sharp around the edges for me.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:37 AM

Gibson is not in the business of giving history lessons so as noted they use their standard scallop bracing carve in their acoustics no matter what type of bracing was used in Kalamazoo. I would also agree the neck on the 50s Original is a nice example of a Gibson mid-Century modern C. The one thing that might be different is the J45 Standard has a rear shifted bracing footprint. I am not sure if the 50s Original has the same or the forward shifted bracing used in the J35 and J45TV.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

A few other differences :

Standard - Tusq nut cut with equal spaces. Compensated saddle. Strap button in heel cap. I'm not so keen on these features.

50s - bone nut with equal centres, traditional round - topped saddle, strap button on side of heel. My preferences.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Standard - Tusq nut cut with equal spaces. Compensated saddle. Strap button in heel cap. I'm not so keen on these features.

50s - bone nut with equal centres, traditional round - topped saddle, strap button on side of heel. My preferences.
Oh nice, I'm a fan of bone nuts.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:19 AM

Ordered a J-45 50s Original from Sweetwater. Nice deal too, I was actually shocked by the price. They are due in May, so lets hope Gibson is on time lol.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

All of this stuff though is easily remedied and as such does not figure in when I am buying anything.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
All of this stuff though is easily remedied and as such does not figure in when I am buying anything.
I wouldn't say easy.

I've probably shaped over 100 nuts from square bone blanks, adjusted or replaced 800 or so saddles and fitted more than 50 strap buttons. None of those jobs is "easy". And as I said, the 50s model comes with those differences in those features from the standard model. Yes, they are changeable features but not without skill, knowledge and the right tools (which are expensive).

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Has anyone compared the newish 50s Original J-45 to the Standard? ...
Wow! I was going to post exactly the same thread later today! I've been considering either a J185 or a J45, both in maple. However, innumerable videos later, what I have started to think is that after all, what I really want is a classic spruce/hog J45. Ralph's comment about the comparison with a Hummingbird is helpful, but can anyone who's played one provide other comparisons? How would it compare to say a Collings CJ or C10 neck or a Lowden/Avalon? I know I should play one, but no-one in my area for miles has one to try.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Ordered a J-45 50s Original from Sweetwater. Nice deal too, I was actually shocked by the price. They are due in May, so lets hope Gibson is on time lol.
Nice!

I was about to recommend the 50s model as I think it's very similar — both visually and on the spec sheet — to the standard models from a while back that I much preferred to the current standard models.

Should be a lovely guitar. You mentioned the pickguard as a weak spot — you may decide you like the larger pickguard, or you could always change it out for a smaller 40s/early 50s style one. I really dislike the super thick pickguard they put on the standard model now (it just looks and feels thick and goopy), so whether you keep the large pickguard or swap it out for a third-party replacement, you're coming out on top in the aesthetics department with the 50s model.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:12 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Good for you, buddy! Hope you love it...

Old 04-20-2021, 02:18 PM

Congrats on your J45.
My advice is moot because it was concerning your consideration of what you ordered and a D18. I like my D18, but if I had to pick between the two, my J45 stays. In truth, the J15 might edge out the D18 too.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion