The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Nice, Jakestone, you had a good day at GC!
Old 04-19-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Nice, Jakestone, you had a good day at GC!
Hey lowrider luckily we have some Fantastic independent shops here in NC.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:17 PM

Welcome to Club 13! Only negatives to me with this guitar is the pickup and the tuner. Everything else is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Count me in!

Strolled into my local guitar shop this morning "just looking".. One of the sales guys said "check this out".. pointing to the Martin SC-13e.

My first impression was WTF is that? I hadn't heard or read a thing about it. (I've been kinda out of it this past year).

Picked it up and played it for a few minutes and remarked that it sounded great. Man... it was so easy to play too. But the thing that got me was the sound! The tone was really cool with a nice and full low end... Easy to play and it took moderate strumming very well too. Not to mention how nice the neck was to play all the way up and down the neck, etc.

They had several in stock and allowed me to play/view them all ... I picked this one.. It's a Lovely guitar and can't wait to break her in!

Old 04-20-2021, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Jack, it's time to swap that PU out so you can finally fall in love with your new guitar!
Old 04-20-2021, 06:23 AM

Yes I agree! Will be soon I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Jack, it's time to swap that PU out so you can finally fall in love with your new guitar!
Old 04-20-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Maybe you played a dud? The one I had played sounded wonderful. Also, as a buyer I would suddenly find the tone a lot sweeter when learning it is roughly $1400. I don't even bother playing guitars that cost over $3K, so I'm probably just ignorant.

But it is blissful.

I thought the tone was balanced but thin...not a lot of depth. It was fairly responsive to varying levels of input. It struck me as being voiced to be a stage guitar. This is not a tone that appeals to me. Just one man's opinion.

I will say it had the best set up of any Martin I've ever played at GC. I liked the ergonomics and aesthetics of the guitar. Very playable, indeed.

I struggle with a $1400 price tag for a laminate b/s guitar. Again...that's just me.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 04-20-2021, 10:24 AM

When you say "depth" do you really mean projection/volume? Because I agree there. Not sure what depth means? I can here the highs, lows and mids represented well here.

About the "laminate" part....martin says it's actually solid mahogany with a thin Koa veneer on top to make it more visually appealing. Personally I'm OK with a laminare for a stage guitar. Hopefully its not as responsive to temp and humidity changes. Again, this is meant to be plugged in, so I don't see the benefits to all solid back and sides. The ebony fretboard is very nice...they didn't skimp there. So are the open back tuners. I just got some blue colored pins which look really nice with the blue rosette and 12th fret marker. The only thing I'm not crazy about its the rather plain and understated pickguard. They should have also made that look a little "different" IMO to add a little more visual pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
I thought the tone was balanced but thin...not a lot of depth. It was fairly responsive to varying levels of input. It struck me as being voiced to be a stage guitar. This is not a tone that appeals to me. Just one man's opinion.

I will say it had the best set up of any Martin I've ever played at GC. I liked the ergonomics and aesthetics of the guitar. Very playable, indeed.

I struggle with a $1400 price tag for a laminate b/s guitar. Again...that's just me.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:59 PM

I have to say... The comfort, weight (very light) and overall amazing playability is what draws me in to this guitar.

Mine sounds fantastic acoustically .. It's got a bold low end and balanced sound all around. All the way from Cowboy chords to playing chords and leads up the neck.

When I play soft or hard it reacts!

It is VERY fun to play!

I will get a chance to thoroughly test it tomo night at a local wine bar. Using my Bose Pro8 PA and Lr Baggs Venue (EQ). In my limited tests so far through my system.. I will say, it really needs an external preamp/EQ to make the guitar's pickup system sound good..

Old 04-20-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:

It is VERY fun to play!

I will get a chance to thoroughly test it tomo night at a local wine bar. Using my Bose Pro8 PA and Lr Baggs Venue (EQ). In my limited tests so far through my system.. I will say, it really needs an external preamp/EQ to make the guitar's pickup system sound good

Please let us know how it goes!

I was very impressed with it and for the same reasons you list. Very comfortable and perhaps the best neck I’ve ever felt on an acoustic.

As for the pickup needing a DI/pre, that is pretty much how I feel about all pickups, including SBTs- my favorite.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I have to say... The comfort, weight (very light) and overall amazing playability is what draws me in to this guitar.

Mine sounds fantastic acoustically .. It's got a bold low end and balanced sound all around. All the way from Cowboy chords to playing chords and leads up the neck.

It is VERY fun to play!

I will get a chance to thoroughly test it tomo night at a local wine bar. Using my Bose Pro8 PA and Lr Baggs Venue (EQ). In my limited tests so far through my system.. I will say, it really needs an external preamp/EQ to make the guitar's pickup system sound good..

Jake, long time no talk! Glad to see you’re doing well! Congrats on the new Martin. I’ve yet to see one in the wild (OK is not NC in so many ways, and a dearth of guitar shops is one of the many!). Enjoy every note!
Old 04-21-2021, 09:05 AM

Yes I know what you mean. It's hard to put down once you pick it up and start playing. And yes that Sonicore pickup sounds pretty bad and needs a lot of external help to sound good. I am planning on replacing it with an Anthem SL but I am finding out this system is not so easy to do yourself.
Its very difficult to remove the battery compartment and the end pin jack, and there is a circuit board assembly that's attached to the end pin jack.
It all makes for a very difficult removal of the existing system. I'm bringing mine to a luthier today to see if he can do it.

Quote:

It is VERY fun to play!

Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
When you say "depth" do you really mean projection/volume? Because I agree there. Not sure what depth means? I can here the highs, lows and mids represented well here.

Lack of depth: Not volume, but overall resonance and sonic presence and nuance. Sort of like listening to a song through small computer speakers vs larger between quality speakers at the same volume.

Quote:
About the "laminate" part....martin says it's actually solid mahogany with a thin Koa veneer on top to make it more visually appealing. Personally I'm OK with a laminare for a stage guitar. Hopefully its not as responsive to temp and humidity changes. Again, this is meant to be plugged in, so I don't see the benefits to all solid back and sides. The ebony fretboard is very nice...they didn't skimp there. So are the open back tuners. I just got some blue colored pins which look really nice with the blue rosette and 12th fret marker. The only thing I'm not crazy about its the rather plain and understated pickguard. They should have also made that look a little "different" IMO to add a little more visual pop.

Ahhh...thanks for clarifying this. Honestly, I read "veneer" and assumed it was a fancy term (e.g. "layered") for laminate.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 04-21-2021, 10:57 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Honestly, I read "veneer" and assumed it was a fancy term (e.g. "layered") for laminate.
Martin aren't doing themselves any favors with how they're marketing this part of it. On the one hand they have one of their marketing consultants clarifying that it's solid mahogany with a fine veneer of koa to bling it up, but on the other you have the people responsible for the design of the guitar calling the back and sides laminate koa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK6wvsvlRmA

Old 04-21-2021, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

couple of things to consider with regards to this new concept guitar Martin has designed.
somebody correct me on this, but as far as i know there is no other factory type guitar being made that has a neck adjustment for intonation. this sliding dovetail joint allows that-some may diss it off, but its a nice feature(and it works).

there is an old thread i posted when i received one of the early available SC13's. it arrived with a crack in the neck. the shop immediately contacted martin, shop sent me a return label, martin overnighted a new neck, shop exchanged necks and setup to my desired action across the string set( 2/32" at the 12th all across-played excellent with no buzz-frets were excellent btw in level). guitar received back in about 1.5 weeks. while i had the guitar there i disassembled the neck joint to see whats going on-keep in mind this would disable your warranty unless you are a certified martin tech.
this old thread documents my removal in real time. what the first picture shows, and this is very very important, the metal dovetail block needs to face round end forward, as you see in the first picture it has the square end forward-Martin knows this will result in the type of crack the neck had-so we came to the very possible conclusion that the parts had been assembled incorrect at the factory on this one-i have not heard of any more issues, although i am in nobodys "loop"-lol
it doesn't show lack of quality, doesn't show poor build characteristics, it was a human error and could happen with any brand.

now the positives of all this. a touring musician could easily carry a spare neck and if the guitar gets dropped, damaged and results in a broke neck, the neck can literally be changed out in about 10 minutes, setup and retuned and ready to go. there shouldn't be much, if any, tone difference(yes i do believe necks are involved in the tone of an instrument-ask any long term banjo player/tech). but, on tour, maybe this is the only acoustic you are taking, a broken neck is a couple minutes issue. done.

the other thing to observe, and i think in post 32 of this thread you can clearly see that the pretty significant cracks(there was more than one) closed up fully and the neck was in perfect alignment and ready to be used.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=587786&page=3
so even if such a crack did happen, loosen the assembly, readjust any misplacement, retighten, and you may be ready to go without any issue.

**there are specific tightening torque values on both allen head bolts, and a specific tightening routine for both** you do not want to go by feel and over or under tighten this assembly.

i've read a few posts along the year where some folks wonder if this is a one shot deal with martin. i have no inner sanctioned knowledge, but i think Martin spent a bunch of time and new equipment to build this model, with the future of the design to continue. i can see a possibility of different neck profile shapes offered(how many of us have sold a great sounding guitar because we couldn't get used to a profile shape-hand raised.) neck width(nut widths) available without being a custom type ordeal. other body sizes offered.

regarding the xtra light gauge strings. keep in mind if you use a pick and want a difference, thickness and material difference in picks offer up infinite variables of tone change-mandolin players know this and its something of a disease process for us-lol. experiment with different picks and keep the xtra light strings for the fun and exploration. nothing wrong with putting 12's on the SC, i've done it for another owner, it sounded as one would expect, more full and thicker tone, but less flexible as one would expect.

having owned/experienced both brands, and i like both brands immensely, working with the SC13 neck is as fast and easy to change, adapt as the Taylor system. both very nice to have when something needs to be changed or adapted to player preference.

i'm hoping for a small body, along 00 size, with the killer neck shape the SC has.

the 13 fret neck attachment feels great for reach and such, i'm really appreciative of that spec. kinda spoils you.

the SC13 is a fingerstyle dream for those of us that adhere to that style of play.

d
Old 04-22-2021, 01:33 PM

So how did it go? Any reports?

Quote:

It is VERY fun to play!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion