The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2021, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Default NPD: new pickups day!

Recently I purchased a used Epiphone "inspired by Gibson" LP Special. I really like the guitar but the pickups weren't quite what I wanted. So, I just had some new Seymore Duncan Antiquity installed. It's like night and day! So much more clarity and power.

I debated between these and some of the more boutique brands, such as Lollar, but these sounded closer on YouTube to the sound I was seeking. It was a great choice!20210418_005859.jpg20210418_005840.jpg
Old 04-18-2021, 05:50 AM

Todd, that's a significant upgrade! Those antiquity P90s must sound amazing. I have a couple of Gibsons that have P90s and they have their own thing going compared to single coils and humbuckers.

Are you going to keep the stock P90s? You should - put them away in case you ever sell the guitar and then just swap them back in.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Todd, that's a significant upgrade! Those antiquity P90s must sound amazing. I have a couple of Gibsons that have P90s and they have their own thing going compared to single coils and humbuckers.

Are you going to keep the stock P90s? You should - put them away in case you ever sell the guitar and then just swap them back in.
Thanks Dru! Yes, I kept the originals and will replace them if I ever decide to sell it. Right now, I'm quite happy with this guitar. The finish is a bit thick but I compared it to a Gibson and I honestly thought the Epi held its own. And that was before the pickups!
Old 04-18-2021, 03:14 PM

Congrats!
Didn't Seymour Duncan used to sign the backs of the Antiquity pickups?

I have some in a pair of Crook guitars but haven't seen the backs of them...
Old 04-18-2021, 09:02 PM

Love that little guitar! I'm tempted...

I put SD Antiquity HBs in my Epi Dot (with a vintage wiring kit) soon after I bought the guitar new in 2012. The stock pickups were good, but the tone transformation with the Antiquities was significant. Some of the best $ I've ever invested on a guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (42.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-19-2021, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Love that little guitar! I'm tempted...

I put SD Antiquity HBs in my Epi Dot (with a vintage wiring kit) soon after I bought the guitar new in 2012. The stock pickups were good, but the tone transformation with the Antiquities was significant. Some of the best $ I've ever invested on a guitar.
That's a real beauty! I bet it sounds great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars