The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-15-2021, 03:22 AM

Default Eastwood Guitars

Anyone else own an Eastwood guitar? They make replicas of guitars that were popular at one time or just downright quirky. Here is a video I made with my Eastwood guitar (a replica of an Ovation GP Ultra).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1KKmoPjhg
Old 04-15-2021, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I have an odd small guitar from Eastwood called a Mandocaster 12. It's like a telecaster version of a 12-string tuned up an octave above where a normal 12-string would be. It sounds quite a bit like a mandolin.

It's kind of cool but hard to play because everything is very crowded on the tiny fretboard.

- Glenn
Old 04-15-2021, 04:17 PM

Coincidentally, yesterday I was listening to Phil McKnight's Podcast in my car (he has a great guitar YouTube channel). He was speaking with the Michael Robinson of Eastwood for about an hour, who I take must be the owner. I got home and checked out the site. Lots of great guitar but they're not for me, aesthetically. Robinson seems like a great guy though.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:21 PM

There are three or four I've always liked the looks of of. The Airline Tuxedo and Twin Tone for instance are aesthetically everything I could want.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:15 AM

As guitarists, how could you possibly not love a company with such an eclectic lineup of guitars? And this is just the tip of the Eastwood iceberg! They are pro level, stage and studio ready instruments in the same price range as Performer and ProAm II Fenders and the assortment of similar priced Reverend offerings.
These three are just too much fun!

Old 04-16-2021, 01:59 PM

Reminds me of the Jetsons when I see those guitars ... and that's not a negative comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
As guitarists, how could you possibly not love a company with such an eclectic lineup of guitars? And this is just the tip of the Eastwood iceberg! They are pro level, stage and studio ready instruments in the same price range as Performer and ProAm II Fenders and the assortment of similar priced Reverend offerings.
These three are just too much fun!

Old 04-16-2021, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I admit I am very intrigued by Eastwood guitars. The Airliner Map looks great, and the ones I've heard (online) sounded nice too.

Ive always wanted a National map, and last year I almost paid $5k for a white '62 National at Rumble Seat in Nashville. I had never seen a white one. It was all original too in great condition...It was just more than I wanted to spend...Anyway, I'm thinking the Eastwood could scratch the itch if it performs.

Eastwood has quite a few other models that are intriguing, as well. I like what they are doing.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I just sold an Airline Mandola, which was a little cracker of an instrument. Hardly ever played it, so it had to go.

Apart from the fact that they are my namesake, I absolutely love what Eastwood is doing. Fine quality instruments, at a reasonable price, that recreate all sorts of favourites (and things you never knew were favourites).

I’m seriously tempted by the Phish/Languedoc replica:

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collecti...lassic-6-ta-ph
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 04-17-2021 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I just sold an Airline Mandola, which was a little cracker of an instrument. Hardly ever played it, so it had to go.

Despite the fact that they are my namesake, I absolutely love what Eastwood is doing. Fine quality instruments, at a reasonable price, that recreate all sorts of favourites (and things you never knew were favourites).

I’m seriously tempted by the Phish/Languedoc replica:

https://eastwoodguitars.com/collecti...lassic-6-ta-ph
Wow - that I like! It has "Two Custom ‘59 Humbuckers". I wonder how their pickups sound.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow - that I like! It has "Two Custom ‘59 Humbuckers". I wonder how their pickups sound.
Here you go, Dru. A very tasty demo from RJ Ronquillo (who, admittedly, could make a broomstick sound good ).

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-18-2021, 10:56 AM

I watched the overdrive and gain tones towards the end of the video. Sounds great, especially on the bridge. Lots of tonal options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Here you go, Dru. A very tasty demo from RJ Ronquillo (who, admittedly, could make a broomstick sound good ).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars