The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-16-2021, 05:06 PM

Default New acoustic setup

I’m new to the guitar world, have acquired a second classical, Cordoba Esteso cedar which I am excited to own. The action is high relative to my Cordoba GK studio so I am experiencing some buzz and tempo is slower which doesn’t occur with the GK.

Should I have the action lowered or is this an opportunity to build hand strength and grow into the new instrument? Playability is pretty important to me at this stage of the journey.

What is gained and what is given up when lowering the action on a classical guitar?

Thank you for your advice.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:58 PM

Strngs too high achieve nothing, strings too low rob the instrument of volume and tone.

The trick is finding the sweet spot that suits you

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-16-2021, 08:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

I do not know what “tempo is slower” means, but if you are experiencing some buzz, you probably don’t want to simply lower your saddle, you will need to have a bigger picture rethink.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:40 PM

By slower tempo, meaning to imply it’s taking added time to hit chords and notes due to higher action, thanks. I am interested in advice as to how hand strength is a factor in the action of a guitars setup.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWer View Post
By slower tempo, meaning to imply it’s taking added time to hit chords and notes due to higher action, thanks. I am interested in advice as to how hand strength is a factor in the action of a guitars setup.

Hand strength is not a solution. Lower action and more accurate fretting is the solution. High action is of no benefit unless you really bash the strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair