The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-06-2021, 11:25 PM

Default Drilling hole in Rainsong

Has anyone have any experience drilling a hole into their Rainsong to install an input jack? My guitar is the non-electronics version.

E-mailed Dave, told him my concern (that it might crack, after hearing that carbon fiber is brittle). He simply stated it's "just like drilling into a wood" except use a very sharp or new drill bit.

I already have a pilot hole since it came with pin strap installed.

Just wanted to hear people's experiences.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:06 AM

Dave is right but I went a step further and bought a carbide bit set at Harbor Freight. I also drilled the same sized hole in a small block of wood and ran the jack through it on the inside before tightening all the parts. This gives the jack more to bite into and is held in place nicely. Also tape over the existing hole to prevent damage to the finish and wear an N95 mask. You do not want to breathe in the dust/ fibers.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:15 AM

I use a standard drill bit to widen the hole to the width of a StewMac endpin reamer tip and then use the reamer to go the rest of the way. The hybrid models will drill more easily than the all CF versions.

I think you could just use a standard drill bits to open up the hole to 1/8" or so and then take it the rest of the way with a 15/32" (or 1/2") bit. I use the reamer because I bought it long ago for wooden guitars.

Put a wide piece of masking tape over the end of the guitar before drilling in case you snag some finish...unlikely but not impossible.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-07-2021, 02:42 PM

Step drills work much better on fiberglass and that may extend to CF. Regular fluted drill bits tend to produce cracks in sheets of brittle plastic unless sandwiched/clamped between other stock.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:27 PM

I just took it to a local tech. I think he used a step drill.

He also glued in a small block of ebony on the inside to provide some reinforcement just in case.

Honestly, I was less scared about drilling a hole than getting superglue (for the K&K) anywhere near my guitar's finish.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-08-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

I don’t have any experience with Rainsong, but I have drilled 3 holes into my Emerald X10 trying to find the ideal location for a strap button. Also drilled holes into at least a half dozen wooden guitars to install a strap button.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:25 PM

Thanks for sharing everyone. It seems like I don't have to worry if it's going to shatter
Old 04-10-2021, 10:34 PM

I visited MacNichol's in Salt Lake when he was still selling CF guitars. (A while go now!) I watched him make a sound ports in a Composite Acoustics guitars, pretty sure he basically drilled a hole then shaped and smooth it with a file. I say its a safer bet than drilling into a wooden guitar.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 04-11-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatamoto View Post
Has anyone have any experience drilling a hole into their Rainsong to install an input jack? My guitar is the non-electronics version.

E-mailed Dave, told him my concern (that it might crack, after hearing that carbon fiber is brittle). He simply stated it's "just like drilling into a wood" except use a very sharp or new drill bit.

I already have a pilot hole since it came with pin strap installed.

Just wanted to hear people's experiences.
He's right. Sharp bit and you'll be fine. I drilled two of them without incident.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber