The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-02-2021, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Free Mid Side processing plugin

For those interested in MS stereo recording .
This just came up on the PT Expert blog (I have not downloaded it as I don't use MS recording for stereo guitar) That said if the quality is decent on this, it certainly seems to simplify the entire M/S process ?

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...midside-matrix

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Eric Skye

I use GoodHertz's "Midside Matrix" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_QmLyUJ0g in Logic. Great plugin for sure
Old 04-03-2021, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

another free mid-side decoder––

https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/
Old 04-03-2021, 04:57 PM

I don't do M-S recording, but I know Reaper has a built in M-S decoder in one of the plug-ins included with it.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I generally use the Voxengo one - tho Logic has one built in, and there are others. I think it'd be pretty hard to mess one of these up as far as sound goes, it's a pretty simple operation that shouldn't involve anything that would wreck the sound. The basic features should be similar as well, tho there can be twists. Voxengo has a visualization as well as the ability to pan each part separately - something I've never found a use for.

The UAD brainworx plugin (I think there's a non-UAD version of this, too) goes crazy with extensive EQ that can operate in the MS space, like applying a de-esser to just the sides, or just the mid. Not free, tho.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I generally use the Voxengo one - tho Logic has one built in, and there are others. I think it'd be pretty hard to mess one of these up as far as sound goes, it's a pretty simple operation that shouldn't involve anything that would wreck the sound. The basic features should be similar as well, tho there can be twists. Voxengo has a visualization as well as the ability to pan each part separately - something I've never found a use for.

The UAD brainworx plugin (I think there's a non-UAD version of this, too) goes crazy with extensive EQ that can operate in the MS space, like applying a de-esser to just the sides, or just the mid. Not free, tho.
Doug maybe you might know , if you read the article can you tell if looks like the GoodHertz unit might be simpler or save steps (as claimed) over other M/S plugins like the Voxengo ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-05-2021, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Doug maybe you might know , if you read the article can you tell if looks like the GoodHertz unit might be simpler or save steps (as claimed) over other M/S plugins like the Voxengo ?
I think what they're claiming is that it's simpler than doing it manually - copying tracks, flipping phase, or doing it by setting up busses. All you do with the Voxengo (or Logic) plugin is put it on a stereo MS track and click the Decode button (or "MS" button on Logic's plugin). This one doesn't seem to offer additional modes like the Voxengo or Logic plugins, and seems to default to MS decoding, saving you one click over the others.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:26 AM

I have three mid-side mics. One reason I like them so much is that I’ve lost my hearing on one side, and yet I still enjoy the sound of stereo in a room. An MS mic let’s me monitor the center mic with a headphone while I record stereo. I really can’t record stereo any other way anymore.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD