The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-10-2020, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Sexauer FT-L00 Pernambuco/German Build

I received my first ever commissioned guitar last week and just wanted to share with it with everyone that hasn't followed Bruce's 2020 build thread.

I have played guitar for approximately 45 years now and in the last 10 years I have acquired some pretty phenomenal acoustic guitars. During this period I became quite curious about Pernambuco guitars. In Sept 2016 Bruce ran a special sale and I called Bruce to order the infamous "Joe Satriani crackwood P" guitar. However as fate would have it, the exact same day I was presented a once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase a new Kim Walker guitar.

Fast forward 4 years in which I made a trade on AGF for a Sexauer Kerala mini dred. It took awhile but I eventually became quite enamored with the Kerala. It is a very intimate guitar that draws you in one session at a time. My appreciation of Bruce's Kerala build one afternoon really rekindled my desire for a Sexauer Pernambuco guitar.

So I contacted Bruce and told him I wanted his best remaining set of Pernambuco and best German spruce top. After many email and several phone calls we settled on the woods and eventually on the L-00. It's actually more of an OM size guitar than a 00. Being my first build I really relied on Bruce to make many of the aesthetic decisions including the very unique 7th fret triad Pernambuco branch inlay.

Well I've been sick the last 10 days so I have had quite a bit of time to play the guitar. I must say Bruce absolutely hit it out of the park. I'm not great like some of you in describing tone, but I have a very discerning ear for it. I totally understand now why Bruce and his P guitars are so highly regarded. Very unique clear, bell like fat tone (ok I told you I'm not good at this ).

Thank you Bruce, hope to meet you in person some day. Great experience and phenomenal x 2 guitar. I couldn't be more happy. I highly recommend that you call Bruce and order a Sexauer Pernambuco guitar before the great stash is gone.

Here is the guitar. Thanks for reading and looking.

PS here is the link to all the details and better pictures on Bruce's website
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/FT-L00-C-2020.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closerear.jpg (26.9 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg closetreblefront.jpg (32.4 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg closeface.jpg (39.4 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg closelogo.jpg (33.6 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg closeheadback.jpg (24.9 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg closebassrear.jpg (43.7 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg closeface (2).jpg (18.4 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by Rwpierce; 04-10-2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Default More Photos

Here are some build shots. Also, I had Bruce ship the pick guard loose. Photo with pg loose on. What's your opinion, should I install it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4thback1.jpg (46.5 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg boundback.jpg (41.8 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg closedfront.jpg (22.5 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 20200405_185615 (2).jpg (39.7 KB, 281 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Rob, congrats....
Old 04-10-2020, 05:31 AM

That’s a lovely instrument.

IMHO, it looks much nicer without the pick guard

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 04-10-2020, 06:08 AM

Congrats, welcome again to the Sexauer family. Bruce has a gift especially with the smaller bodied guitars and his set ups are just perfect as I am sure you can attest to.

I usually do not like pick guards, but to me it is part of the Sexauer look and therefore would use it.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:24 AM

I am a habitual stalker of builds on this forum especially Bruce's, what a glorious guitar he has built for you congrats!

As for "to pick guard or not". Does your playing warrant the pick guards protection? Mine doesn't so I go sans, and I personally believe most look better without, except for a sunburst Gibsons for some reason. Enjoy
Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

I also have one of Bruce's Pernambuco guitars. A 000 and like yours with German. Mine is certainly an inspiring instrument and of all the guitars that have passed through the house the P000 is certainly a top guitar. Never to be sold or traded.

So...I know what you have gotten yourself into!
Old 04-10-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on this fabulous guitar!

I think it looks great without the pickguard, but I always need one, so I would go with a clear one.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you for posting this thread, Rob. It has been my pleasure to work with you, as our result fully attests.

The guitar looks great to me with the pick guard. Many pick guards I’ve seen detract from from the guitar’s natural elegance, but for my taste, that does not happen here.

While there are many qualities of my varnish that enhance an acoustic guitar as compare to most other finish options, surface hardness is not one of them. Unless the player and all of their friends have stellar pick technique, I recommend the PG on my guitars.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 04-10-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:33 PM

Rob, congratulations on an amazing guitar. Your taste and experience with the top guitars and luthiers of today make your endorsement of Bruce's work very powerful for me.

If you have the capability to record, it would be awesome to hear your playing this guitar. Would also totally absolve you of needing to describe the tone.

Play it in good health for many years...
Old 04-10-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Thank you for posting this thread, Rob. It has been my pleasure to work with you, as our result fully attests.

The guitar looks great to me with the pick guard. Many pick guards I’ve seen detract from from the guitar’s natural elegance, but for my taste, that does not happen here.

While there are many qualities of my varnish that enhance an acoustic guitar as compare to most other finish options, surface hardness is not one of them. Unless the player and all of their friends have stellar pick technique, I recommend the PG on my guitars.
Listen!

Me - I'd play it without the pickguard first. I have decided I don't need them with my playing style and I enjoy the look for wood far more than plastic. And the less that inhibits the vibrations of the top, the better.

You - play it first, if you mark it up, put the pickguard on because you need it. And then those marks will never show.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Bruces warning about the nature of his varnish finish is well worth thinking about - personally, a few pick scratches are no big deal to me, but most feel differently. Plus, it is a strong visual part of the Sexauer aesthetic, so I would put it on -

Bruce always speaks well of his creations - you might say he loves all his children equally - but he also recognizes the differences in each one. Subtleties in tone, feel, play - his skill at building may only be matched by his skill in identifying and isolating those nuances that can only be recognized in extremely well built guitars. I’ve had the pleasure of spending a little but of time with a number before they shipped out, but unfortunately, not this one. Bruces excitement about this one was alarming - he truly felt it was an exemplary piece of work, and from what I saw of it, it may have been. But I never heard it - which I really regret. I hope you find it to be as beautiful to play as it is for us to look at -

The only thing that might be better than that guitar, might be the next one he builds - but thats a very high bar -
Old 04-10-2020, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Thank you Carmel Cedar. It is a truly exceptional guitar. No real capability to record but if your ever in Arizona please look me up and come play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Rob, congratulations on an amazing guitar. Your taste and experience with the top guitars and luthiers of today make your endorsement of Bruce's work very powerful for me.

If you have the capability to record, it would be awesome to hear your playing this guitar. Would also totally absolve you of needing to describe the tone.

Play it in good health for many years...
Old 04-11-2020, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

I think a well considered pg adds to an instrument's character. This one is a great shape, color, and nicely accentuates the asymmetry created by the cutaway. It is cool and clearly part of the design in both form and (per Bruce's advice) function.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:20 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautiful instrument Rob! Congrats!

I too have been blessed to receive a new Sexauer this year and realize just how special they are to own. You have to be over the moon happy!

Regarding a pickguard, Bruce gave me the option as well and I didn't even blink. Absolutely was my answer. My pinky gets out of control sometimes and I didn't want the slightest chance of marring my beautiful German top. So I say, "Go for it". I like the look of yours with a pickguard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop